Pharo-dev
By thread
pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org
By month
Messages by month
- ----- 2026 -----
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2025 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2024 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2023 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2022 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2021 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2020 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2019 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2018 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2017 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2016 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2015 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2014 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2013 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2012 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2011 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2010 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2009 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2008 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- 1 participants
- 144619 messages
Re: [Pharo-project] out of memory - cog on windows
by Alain_Rastoul
(And of course Tudor, I forgot to mention it but I can send you this vm if you need)
"Alain_Rastoul" <alr.dev(a)free.fr> a écrit dans le message de news: ioq86o$69j$1(a)dough.gmane.org...
I thought he was able to start it on a Mac that's why I suggested to this on a Mac and see if memory consumption was reduced.
BTW I have rebuild a cog vm with 2Gb ram for MAX_MEMORY and it runs ok on my 1Gb netbook
"Mariano Martinez Peck" <marianopeck(a)gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news: BANLkTikuk1jRV34=u2pzTFx5+2qWgjrbCQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg(a)public.gmane.org...
Alain: as far as I understood, he cannot even start the image...so he won't be able to open a workspace and evaluate something.
Doru, if you can evaluate something in a workspace, you may also try SpaceTally new printSpaceAnalysis
and then check the STspace.text that is next to the image. That way you acn see if there are certain classes that have a lot of instances.
Can you evaluate "Smalltalk garbageCollect " and tell me the answer? just curious....
thanks
mariano
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Alain_Rastoul <alr.dev(a)free.fr> wrote:
Mmm, you are right, in old squeak versions, there was a parameter
-memory: xx (xx inMB)
but I don't know if it is still in use.
BTW there must be some hanging references in memory and perhaps youd should
do some PointerFinder on it.
A very handy script I found (on Ramon Leon's blog or elsewhere I don't
remember) could help you.
You can try it in a workspace and see if it reduces your memory usage (after
save and quit)
comment unknown or unwanted commands :
| tasks |
tasks := OrderedCollection new
add: [MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches];
add: [WARegistry clearAllHandlers];
" add: [SMSqueakMap default clearCaches];"
add: [Smalltalk removeEmptyMessageCategories];
add: [Workspace
allSubInstancesDo: [:each | each setBindings:
Dictionary new]];
" add: [Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys];"
" add: [Categorizer sortAllCategories];"
add: [ODBCConnection cleanAll];
add: [Symbol compactSymbolTable];
" add: [ReleaseBuilderDeveloper new fixObsoleteReferences];"
add: [Smalltalk garbageCollectMost];
add: [Smalltalk garbageCollect ];
add: [Smalltalk garbageCollect ];
add: [Smalltalk garbageCollect ];
add: [EventManager actionMaps keys do: [:each| EventManager
releaseActionMapFor: each] ];
add: [Debugger closeAllDebuggers];
add:[Debugger allInstances do: [ :d | d release ] ];
yourself.
UIManager default
informUserDuring: [:bar | tasks
do: [:block |
bar value: block printString.
[block value]
on: Error
do: [:error | Transcript show: error;
cr]]].
Regards
Alain
"Tudor Girba" <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> a écrit
dans le message de news: 6AA1F065-3996-433B-AB7C-1640C08D5A7B-Re5JQEeQqe9Ui4FbrNnSJA(a)public.gmane.org
Hi,
Should I to understand that the only way to enable more memory is to
recompile the VM? Does that mean that there is no way to pass this
information as a parameter like we can on Mac?
The problem is that I cannot recompile the VM because I have no access to a
Windows machine. Is there one available that provides more memory?
Cheers,
Doru
On 21 Apr 2011, at 22:09, Alain_Rastoul wrote:
> Hi Tudor,
>
> There is a constant in sqWin32Alloc.h (platforms\win32\vm) :
> #define MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY 512*1024*1024
> you can change it to whatever you want and rebuild the vm,
> for exzmple give all the available memory less 256 M .
>
> HTH
>
> Regards
> Alain
>
> "Tudor Girba" <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> a
> écrit
> dans le message de news:
> 03B9389F-C719-44D0-B106-2AC78B120F56-Re5JQEeQqe9Ui4FbrNnSJA-XMD5yJDbdMRG2NFembrH+g(a)public.gmane.orgorg
> Hi,
>
> We have no specific startUp: methods in Moose. In any case, the issue with
> opening the image does not seem to be related to startUp:.
>
> Is it really true that the Cog VM is limited to 512MB of memory?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 21 Apr 2011, at 14:27, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>
>> Hi Doru,
>>
>> 2011/4/21 Tudor Girba
>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>> On Apr 21, 2011, at 14:06, Mariano Martinez Peck
>> <marianopeck(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Tudor Girba
>>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Hi again,
>>>>
>>>> I did not say what the problem was :). The problem was that when
>>>> opening the image on Windows, he got a Space is low message and the
>>>> image was not usable (see attachment).
>>>
>>> That's weird. Does moose have something on the startup list? something
>>> that can be bothering there?
>>
>> Not that I know of. Is there a way to check this?
>>
>> Classes should be registered using Smalltlak addToStartUpList: aClass
>> Then aClass class>>#startUp: is executed at startup.
>> So implementors of #startUp: on Moose classes should give you the answer.
>>
>> #Luc
>>
>>
>> Actually, using exactly the same process some days ago he produced an
>> image of 190MB. This one works just fine on Windows. The only difference
>> between the two is the size of the loaded data.
>>
>> It would be really bad news if the Windows vm would be so severely
>> limited
>> in terms of memory.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>
>>>
>>> On Mac it worked just fine.
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Doru
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 21 Apr 2011, at 12:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I received a question from someone running a 200MB image on Windows
>>>>> using Cog 2361.
>>>>>
>>>>> If I open the image on Mac, it works just fine. Unfortunately, I do
>>>>> not have a Windows machine around, and I cannot test but I believe it
>>>>> should be solvable by increasing the allocated memory.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mac, I would run it with: ./Croquet -memory 1500m
>>>>>
>>>>> Can anyone help me with the right incantation for Windows?
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> Doru
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>>>
>>>>> "What we can governs what we wish."
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> <Space is low.png>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>>
>>>> "Yesterday is a fact.
>>>> Tomorrow is a possibility.
>>>> Today is a challenge."
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mariano
>>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>>>
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Beauty is where we see it."
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
--
www.tudorgirba.com
"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."
--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
April 21, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] out of memory - cog on windows
by Alain_Rastoul
I thought he was able to start it on a Mac that's why I suggested to this on a Mac and see if memory consumption was reduced.
BTW I have rebuild a cog vm with 2Gb ram for MAX_MEMORY and it runs ok on my 1Gb netbook
"Mariano Martinez Peck" <marianopeck(a)gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news: BANLkTikuk1jRV34=u2pzTFx5+2qWgjrbCQ(a)mail.gmail.com...
Alain: as far as I understood, he cannot even start the image...so he won't be able to open a workspace and evaluate something.
Doru, if you can evaluate something in a workspace, you may also try SpaceTally new printSpaceAnalysis
and then check the STspace.text that is next to the image. That way you acn see if there are certain classes that have a lot of instances.
Can you evaluate "Smalltalk garbageCollect " and tell me the answer? just curious....
thanks
mariano
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Alain_Rastoul <alr.dev(a)free.fr> wrote:
Mmm, you are right, in old squeak versions, there was a parameter
-memory: xx (xx inMB)
but I don't know if it is still in use.
BTW there must be some hanging references in memory and perhaps youd should
do some PointerFinder on it.
A very handy script I found (on Ramon Leon's blog or elsewhere I don't
remember) could help you.
You can try it in a workspace and see if it reduces your memory usage (after
save and quit)
comment unknown or unwanted commands :
| tasks |
tasks := OrderedCollection new
add: [MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches];
add: [WARegistry clearAllHandlers];
" add: [SMSqueakMap default clearCaches];"
add: [Smalltalk removeEmptyMessageCategories];
add: [Workspace
allSubInstancesDo: [:each | each setBindings:
Dictionary new]];
" add: [Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys];"
" add: [Categorizer sortAllCategories];"
add: [ODBCConnection cleanAll];
add: [Symbol compactSymbolTable];
" add: [ReleaseBuilderDeveloper new fixObsoleteReferences];"
add: [Smalltalk garbageCollectMost];
add: [Smalltalk garbageCollect ];
add: [Smalltalk garbageCollect ];
add: [Smalltalk garbageCollect ];
add: [EventManager actionMaps keys do: [:each| EventManager
releaseActionMapFor: each] ];
add: [Debugger closeAllDebuggers];
add:[Debugger allInstances do: [ :d | d release ] ];
yourself.
UIManager default
informUserDuring: [:bar | tasks
do: [:block |
bar value: block printString.
[block value]
on: Error
do: [:error | Transcript show: error;
cr]]].
Regards
Alain
"Tudor Girba" <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> a écrit
dans le message de news: 6AA1F065-3996-433B-AB7C-1640C08D5A7B(a)gmail.com...
Hi,
Should I to understand that the only way to enable more memory is to
recompile the VM? Does that mean that there is no way to pass this
information as a parameter like we can on Mac?
The problem is that I cannot recompile the VM because I have no access to a
Windows machine. Is there one available that provides more memory?
Cheers,
Doru
On 21 Apr 2011, at 22:09, Alain_Rastoul wrote:
> Hi Tudor,
>
> There is a constant in sqWin32Alloc.h (platforms\win32\vm) :
> #define MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY 512*1024*1024
> you can change it to whatever you want and rebuild the vm,
> for exzmple give all the available memory less 256 M .
>
> HTH
>
> Regards
> Alain
>
> "Tudor Girba" <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> a
> écrit
> dans le message de news:
> 03B9389F-C719-44D0-B106-2AC78B120F56-Re5JQEeQqe9Ui4FbrNnSJA(a)public.gmane.org
> Hi,
>
> We have no specific startUp: methods in Moose. In any case, the issue with
> opening the image does not seem to be related to startUp:.
>
> Is it really true that the Cog VM is limited to 512MB of memory?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 21 Apr 2011, at 14:27, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>
>> Hi Doru,
>>
>> 2011/4/21 Tudor Girba
>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>> On Apr 21, 2011, at 14:06, Mariano Martinez Peck
>> <marianopeck(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Tudor Girba
>>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Hi again,
>>>>
>>>> I did not say what the problem was :). The problem was that when
>>>> opening the image on Windows, he got a Space is low message and the
>>>> image was not usable (see attachment).
>>>
>>> That's weird. Does moose have something on the startup list? something
>>> that can be bothering there?
>>
>> Not that I know of. Is there a way to check this?
>>
>> Classes should be registered using Smalltlak addToStartUpList: aClass
>> Then aClass class>>#startUp: is executed at startup.
>> So implementors of #startUp: on Moose classes should give you the answer.
>>
>> #Luc
>>
>>
>> Actually, using exactly the same process some days ago he produced an
>> image of 190MB. This one works just fine on Windows. The only difference
>> between the two is the size of the loaded data.
>>
>> It would be really bad news if the Windows vm would be so severely
>> limited
>> in terms of memory.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>
>>>
>>> On Mac it worked just fine.
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Doru
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 21 Apr 2011, at 12:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I received a question from someone running a 200MB image on Windows
>>>>> using Cog 2361.
>>>>>
>>>>> If I open the image on Mac, it works just fine. Unfortunately, I do
>>>>> not have a Windows machine around, and I cannot test but I believe it
>>>>> should be solvable by increasing the allocated memory.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mac, I would run it with: ./Croquet -memory 1500m
>>>>>
>>>>> Can anyone help me with the right incantation for Windows?
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> Doru
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>>>
>>>>> "What we can governs what we wish."
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> <Space is low.png>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>>
>>>> "Yesterday is a fact.
>>>> Tomorrow is a possibility.
>>>> Today is a challenge."
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mariano
>>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>>>
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Beauty is where we see it."
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
--
www.tudorgirba.com
"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."
--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
April 21, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] out of memory - cog on windows
by Marcus Denker
On Apr 21, 2011, at 10:22 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Should I to understand that the only way to enable more memory is to recompile the VM? Does that mean that there is no way to pass this information as a parameter like we can on Mac?
>
> The problem is that I cannot recompile the VM because I have no access to a Windows machine. Is there one available that provides more memory?
>
We need to finish the windows auto build setup...
--
Marcus Denker -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
April 21, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] out of memory - cog on windows
by Mariano Martinez Peck
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Alain_Rastoul <alr.dev(a)free.fr> wrote:
> Apparently, the vm allocates MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY and reduces by steps of
> 128M until it
> succeeds.
> so I suppose it could be possible to allocate 2Gb and see how it runs on a
> 1Gb system and if this is not too much stress for
> the system (thinking of the pagefile) ?
> Tudor is your vm a cog or non cog vm ?
>
Cog
>
>
> "Mariano Martinez Peck" <marianopeck(a)gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> news: BANLkTi=Tved13_KL7quOzemOXPnCcfWw+g(a)mail.gmail.com...
>
> ------------------------------
>
>
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Tudor Girba <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Should I to understand that the only way to enable more memory is to
>> recompile the VM? Does that mean that there is no way to pass this
>> information as a parameter like we can on Mac?
>>
>>
> As far as I know you can pass a parameter, but even so, it won't be able to
> allocate more than 512MB.
> I can compile the VM for you with this change in 5 minutes. But I am not
> sure that such simple code would make it work. I think such limit is there
> because of something. Otherwise, it sounds stupid imposing a limit just
> because.
>
> The problem is that I cannot recompile the VM because I have no access to a
>> Windows machine. Is there one available that provides more memory?
>>
>>
> I don't think so, but start cc'ing the VM mailing list. You'd probably
> receive more help.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>
>> On 21 Apr 2011, at 22:09, Alain_Rastoul wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Tudor,
>> >
>> > There is a constant in sqWin32Alloc.h (platforms\win32\vm) :
>> > #define MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY 512*1024*1024
>> > you can change it to whatever you want and rebuild the vm,
>> > for exzmple give all the available memory less 256 M .
>> >
>> > HTH
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Alain
>> >
>> > "Tudor Girba" <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> a écrit
>> > dans le message de news: 03B9389F-C719-44D0-B106-2AC78B120F56(a)gmail.com.
>> ..
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > We have no specific startUp: methods in Moose. In any case, the issue
>> with
>> > opening the image does not seem to be related to startUp:.
>> >
>> > Is it really true that the Cog VM is limited to 512MB of memory?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Doru
>> >
>> >
>> > On 21 Apr 2011, at 14:27, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi Doru,
>> >>
>> >> 2011/4/21 Tudor Girba
>> >> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com>
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> On Apr 21, 2011, at 14:06, Mariano Martinez Peck
>> >> <marianopeck(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >>
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Tudor Girba
>> >>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >>>> Hi again,
>> >>>>
>> >>>> I did not say what the problem was :). The problem was that when
>> >>>> opening the image on Windows, he got a Space is low message and the
>> >>>> image was not usable (see attachment).
>> >>>
>> >>> That's weird. Does moose have something on the startup list?
>> something
>> >>> that can be bothering there?
>> >>
>> >> Not that I know of. Is there a way to check this?
>> >>
>> >> Classes should be registered using Smalltlak addToStartUpList: aClass
>> >> Then aClass class>>#startUp: is executed at startup.
>> >> So implementors of #startUp: on Moose classes should give you the
>> answer.
>> >>
>> >> #Luc
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Actually, using exactly the same process some days ago he produced an
>> >> image of 190MB. This one works just fine on Windows. The only
>> difference
>> >> between the two is the size of the loaded data.
>> >>
>> >> It would be really bad news if the Windows vm would be so severely
>> limited
>> >> in terms of memory.
>> >>
>> >> Cheers,
>> >> Doru
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>>
>> >>> On Mac it worked just fine.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Cheers,
>> >>>> Doru
>> >>>>
>> >>>>
>> >>>
>> >>>>
>> >>>>
>> >>>>
>> >>>> On 21 Apr 2011, at 12:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
>> >>>>
>> >>>>> Hi,
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> I received a question from someone running a 200MB image on Windows
>> >>>>> using Cog 2361.
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> If I open the image on Mac, it works just fine. Unfortunately, I do
>> >>>>> not have a Windows machine around, and I cannot test but I believe
>> it
>> >>>>> should be solvable by increasing the allocated memory.
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> On Mac, I would run it with: ./Croquet -memory 1500m
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> Can anyone help me with the right incantation for Windows?
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> Cheers,
>> >>>>> Doru
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> --
>> >>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> "What we can governs what we wish."
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> <Space is low.png>
>> >>>>
>> >>>> --
>> >>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> >>>>
>> >>>> "Yesterday is a fact.
>> >>>> Tomorrow is a possibility.
>> >>>> Today is a challenge."
>> >>>>
>> >>>>
>> >>>>
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>> --
>> >>> Mariano
>> >>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>> >>>
>> >>
>> >
>> > --
>> > www.tudorgirba.com
>> >
>> > "Beauty is where we see it."
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>> you will end up with a messy haircut."
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>
>
--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
April 21, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] out of memory - cog on windows
by Alain_Rastoul
Apparently, the vm allocates MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY and reduces by steps of 128M until it
succeeds.
so I suppose it could be possible to allocate 2Gb and see how it runs on a 1Gb system and if this is not too much stress for
the system (thinking of the pagefile) ?
Tudor is your vm a cog or non cog vm ?
"Mariano Martinez Peck" <marianopeck(a)gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news: BANLkTi=Tved13_KL7quOzemOXPnCcfWw+g(a)mail.gmail.com...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Tudor Girba <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
Should I to understand that the only way to enable more memory is to recompile the VM? Does that mean that there is no way to pass this information as a parameter like we can on Mac?
As far as I know you can pass a parameter, but even so, it won't be able to allocate more than 512MB.
I can compile the VM for you with this change in 5 minutes. But I am not sure that such simple code would make it work. I think such limit is there because of something. Otherwise, it sounds stupid imposing a limit just because.
The problem is that I cannot recompile the VM because I have no access to a Windows machine. Is there one available that provides more memory?
I don't think so, but start cc'ing the VM mailing list. You'd probably receive more help.
Cheers
Mariano
Cheers,
Doru
On 21 Apr 2011, at 22:09, Alain_Rastoul wrote:
> Hi Tudor,
>
> There is a constant in sqWin32Alloc.h (platforms\win32\vm) :
> #define MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY 512*1024*1024
> you can change it to whatever you want and rebuild the vm,
> for exzmple give all the available memory less 256 M .
>
> HTH
>
> Regards
> Alain
>
> "Tudor Girba" <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> a écrit
> dans le message de news: 03B9389F-C719-44D0-B106-2AC78B120F56(a)gmail.com...
> Hi,
>
> We have no specific startUp: methods in Moose. In any case, the issue with
> opening the image does not seem to be related to startUp:.
>
> Is it really true that the Cog VM is limited to 512MB of memory?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 21 Apr 2011, at 14:27, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>
>> Hi Doru,
>>
>> 2011/4/21 Tudor Girba
>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>> On Apr 21, 2011, at 14:06, Mariano Martinez Peck
>> <marianopeck(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Tudor Girba
>>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Hi again,
>>>>
>>>> I did not say what the problem was :). The problem was that when
>>>> opening the image on Windows, he got a Space is low message and the
>>>> image was not usable (see attachment).
>>>
>>> That's weird. Does moose have something on the startup list? something
>>> that can be bothering there?
>>
>> Not that I know of. Is there a way to check this?
>>
>> Classes should be registered using Smalltlak addToStartUpList: aClass
>> Then aClass class>>#startUp: is executed at startup.
>> So implementors of #startUp: on Moose classes should give you the answer.
>>
>> #Luc
>>
>>
>> Actually, using exactly the same process some days ago he produced an
>> image of 190MB. This one works just fine on Windows. The only difference
>> between the two is the size of the loaded data.
>>
>> It would be really bad news if the Windows vm would be so severely limited
>> in terms of memory.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>
>>>
>>> On Mac it worked just fine.
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Doru
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 21 Apr 2011, at 12:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I received a question from someone running a 200MB image on Windows
>>>>> using Cog 2361.
>>>>>
>>>>> If I open the image on Mac, it works just fine. Unfortunately, I do
>>>>> not have a Windows machine around, and I cannot test but I believe it
>>>>> should be solvable by increasing the allocated memory.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mac, I would run it with: ./Croquet -memory 1500m
>>>>>
>>>>> Can anyone help me with the right incantation for Windows?
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> Doru
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>>>
>>>>> "What we can governs what we wish."
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> <Space is low.png>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>>
>>>> "Yesterday is a fact.
>>>> Tomorrow is a possibility.
>>>> Today is a challenge."
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mariano
>>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>>>
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Beauty is where we see it."
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
--
www.tudorgirba.com
"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."
--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
April 21, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] out of memory - cog on windows
by Mariano Martinez Peck
Alain: as far as I understood, he cannot even start the image...so he won't
be able to open a workspace and evaluate something.
Doru, if you can evaluate something in a workspace, you may also try
SpaceTally new printSpaceAnalysis
and then check the STspace.text that is next to the image. That way you acn
see if there are certain classes that have a lot of instances.
Can you evaluate "Smalltalk garbageCollect " and tell me the answer? just
curious....
thanks
mariano
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Alain_Rastoul <alr.dev(a)free.fr> wrote:
> Mmm, you are right, in old squeak versions, there was a parameter
> -memory: xx (xx inMB)
> but I don't know if it is still in use.
>
> BTW there must be some hanging references in memory and perhaps youd should
> do some PointerFinder on it.
> A very handy script I found (on Ramon Leon's blog or elsewhere I don't
> remember) could help you.
> You can try it in a workspace and see if it reduces your memory usage
> (after
> save and quit)
> comment unknown or unwanted commands :
> | tasks |
> tasks := OrderedCollection new
> add: [MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches];
> add: [WARegistry clearAllHandlers];
> " add: [SMSqueakMap default clearCaches];"
> add: [Smalltalk removeEmptyMessageCategories];
> add: [Workspace
> allSubInstancesDo: [:each | each setBindings:
> Dictionary new]];
> " add: [Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys];"
> " add: [Categorizer sortAllCategories];"
> add: [ODBCConnection cleanAll];
> add: [Symbol compactSymbolTable];
> " add: [ReleaseBuilderDeveloper new fixObsoleteReferences];"
> add: [Smalltalk garbageCollectMost];
> add: [Smalltalk garbageCollect ];
> add: [Smalltalk garbageCollect ];
> add: [Smalltalk garbageCollect ];
> add: [EventManager actionMaps keys do: [:each| EventManager
> releaseActionMapFor: each] ];
> add: [Debugger closeAllDebuggers];
> add:[Debugger allInstances do: [ :d | d release ] ];
>
> yourself.
> UIManager default
> informUserDuring: [:bar | tasks
> do: [:block |
> bar value: block printString.
> [block value]
> on: Error
> do: [:error | Transcript show: error;
> cr]]].
>
> Regards
> Alain
>
> "Tudor Girba" <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> a écrit
> dans le message de news: 6AA1F065-3996-433B-AB7C-1640C08D5A7B(a)gmail.com...
> Hi,
>
> Should I to understand that the only way to enable more memory is to
> recompile the VM? Does that mean that there is no way to pass this
> information as a parameter like we can on Mac?
>
> The problem is that I cannot recompile the VM because I have no access to a
> Windows machine. Is there one available that provides more memory?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 21 Apr 2011, at 22:09, Alain_Rastoul wrote:
>
> > Hi Tudor,
> >
> > There is a constant in sqWin32Alloc.h (platforms\win32\vm) :
> > #define MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY 512*1024*1024
> > you can change it to whatever you want and rebuild the vm,
> > for exzmple give all the available memory less 256 M .
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Regards
> > Alain
> >
> > "Tudor Girba" <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> a
> > écrit
> > dans le message de news:
> > 03B9389F-C719-44D0-B106-2AC78B120F56(a)gmail.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have no specific startUp: methods in Moose. In any case, the issue
> with
> > opening the image does not seem to be related to startUp:.
> >
> > Is it really true that the Cog VM is limited to 512MB of memory?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >
> >
> > On 21 Apr 2011, at 14:27, Luc Fabresse wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Doru,
> >>
> >> 2011/4/21 Tudor Girba
> >> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Apr 21, 2011, at 14:06, Mariano Martinez Peck
> >> <marianopeck(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Tudor Girba
> >>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>> Hi again,
> >>>>
> >>>> I did not say what the problem was :). The problem was that when
> >>>> opening the image on Windows, he got a Space is low message and the
> >>>> image was not usable (see attachment).
> >>>
> >>> That's weird. Does moose have something on the startup list?
> something
> >>> that can be bothering there?
> >>
> >> Not that I know of. Is there a way to check this?
> >>
> >> Classes should be registered using Smalltlak addToStartUpList: aClass
> >> Then aClass class>>#startUp: is executed at startup.
> >> So implementors of #startUp: on Moose classes should give you the
> answer.
> >>
> >> #Luc
> >>
> >>
> >> Actually, using exactly the same process some days ago he produced an
> >> image of 190MB. This one works just fine on Windows. The only difference
> >> between the two is the size of the loaded data.
> >>
> >> It would be really bad news if the Windows vm would be so severely
> >> limited
> >> in terms of memory.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru
> >>
> >>
> >>>
> >>> On Mac it worked just fine.
> >>>>
> >>>> Cheers,
> >>>> Doru
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> On 21 Apr 2011, at 12:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>> Hi,
> >>>>>
> >>>>> I received a question from someone running a 200MB image on Windows
> >>>>> using Cog 2361.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> If I open the image on Mac, it works just fine. Unfortunately, I do
> >>>>> not have a Windows machine around, and I cannot test but I believe it
> >>>>> should be solvable by increasing the allocated memory.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> On Mac, I would run it with: ./Croquet -memory 1500m
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Can anyone help me with the right incantation for Windows?
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Cheers,
> >>>>> Doru
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> --
> >>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
> >>>>>
> >>>>> "What we can governs what we wish."
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> <Space is low.png>
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>> www.tudorgirba.com
> >>>>
> >>>> "Yesterday is a fact.
> >>>> Tomorrow is a possibility.
> >>>> Today is a challenge."
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> Mariano
> >>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
> >>>
> >>
> >
> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "Beauty is where we see it."
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
> you will end up with a messy haircut."
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
April 21, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] out of memory - cog on windows
by Alain_Rastoul
Mmm, you are right, in old squeak versions, there was a parameter
-memory: xx (xx inMB)
but I don't know if it is still in use.
BTW there must be some hanging references in memory and perhaps youd should
do some PointerFinder on it.
A very handy script I found (on Ramon Leon's blog or elsewhere I don't
remember) could help you.
You can try it in a workspace and see if it reduces your memory usage (after
save and quit)
comment unknown or unwanted commands :
| tasks |
tasks := OrderedCollection new
add: [MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches];
add: [WARegistry clearAllHandlers];
" add: [SMSqueakMap default clearCaches];"
add: [Smalltalk removeEmptyMessageCategories];
add: [Workspace
allSubInstancesDo: [:each | each setBindings:
Dictionary new]];
" add: [Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys];"
" add: [Categorizer sortAllCategories];"
add: [ODBCConnection cleanAll];
add: [Symbol compactSymbolTable];
" add: [ReleaseBuilderDeveloper new fixObsoleteReferences];"
add: [Smalltalk garbageCollectMost];
add: [Smalltalk garbageCollect ];
add: [Smalltalk garbageCollect ];
add: [Smalltalk garbageCollect ];
add: [EventManager actionMaps keys do: [:each| EventManager
releaseActionMapFor: each] ];
add: [Debugger closeAllDebuggers];
add:[Debugger allInstances do: [ :d | d release ] ];
yourself.
UIManager default
informUserDuring: [:bar | tasks
do: [:block |
bar value: block printString.
[block value]
on: Error
do: [:error | Transcript show: error;
cr]]].
Regards
Alain
"Tudor Girba" <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> a écrit
dans le message de news: 6AA1F065-3996-433B-AB7C-1640C08D5A7B(a)gmail.com...
Hi,
Should I to understand that the only way to enable more memory is to
recompile the VM? Does that mean that there is no way to pass this
information as a parameter like we can on Mac?
The problem is that I cannot recompile the VM because I have no access to a
Windows machine. Is there one available that provides more memory?
Cheers,
Doru
On 21 Apr 2011, at 22:09, Alain_Rastoul wrote:
> Hi Tudor,
>
> There is a constant in sqWin32Alloc.h (platforms\win32\vm) :
> #define MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY 512*1024*1024
> you can change it to whatever you want and rebuild the vm,
> for exzmple give all the available memory less 256 M .
>
> HTH
>
> Regards
> Alain
>
> "Tudor Girba" <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> a
> écrit
> dans le message de news:
> 03B9389F-C719-44D0-B106-2AC78B120F56(a)gmail.com...
> Hi,
>
> We have no specific startUp: methods in Moose. In any case, the issue with
> opening the image does not seem to be related to startUp:.
>
> Is it really true that the Cog VM is limited to 512MB of memory?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 21 Apr 2011, at 14:27, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>
>> Hi Doru,
>>
>> 2011/4/21 Tudor Girba
>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>> On Apr 21, 2011, at 14:06, Mariano Martinez Peck
>> <marianopeck(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Tudor Girba
>>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Hi again,
>>>>
>>>> I did not say what the problem was :). The problem was that when
>>>> opening the image on Windows, he got a Space is low message and the
>>>> image was not usable (see attachment).
>>>
>>> That's weird. Does moose have something on the startup list? something
>>> that can be bothering there?
>>
>> Not that I know of. Is there a way to check this?
>>
>> Classes should be registered using Smalltlak addToStartUpList: aClass
>> Then aClass class>>#startUp: is executed at startup.
>> So implementors of #startUp: on Moose classes should give you the answer.
>>
>> #Luc
>>
>>
>> Actually, using exactly the same process some days ago he produced an
>> image of 190MB. This one works just fine on Windows. The only difference
>> between the two is the size of the loaded data.
>>
>> It would be really bad news if the Windows vm would be so severely
>> limited
>> in terms of memory.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>
>>>
>>> On Mac it worked just fine.
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Doru
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 21 Apr 2011, at 12:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I received a question from someone running a 200MB image on Windows
>>>>> using Cog 2361.
>>>>>
>>>>> If I open the image on Mac, it works just fine. Unfortunately, I do
>>>>> not have a Windows machine around, and I cannot test but I believe it
>>>>> should be solvable by increasing the allocated memory.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mac, I would run it with: ./Croquet -memory 1500m
>>>>>
>>>>> Can anyone help me with the right incantation for Windows?
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> Doru
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>>>
>>>>> "What we can governs what we wish."
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> <Space is low.png>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>>
>>>> "Yesterday is a fact.
>>>> Tomorrow is a possibility.
>>>> Today is a challenge."
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mariano
>>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>>>
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Beauty is where we see it."
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
--
www.tudorgirba.com
"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."
April 21, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] out of memory - cog on windows
by Mariano Martinez Peck
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Tudor Girba <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Should I to understand that the only way to enable more memory is to
> recompile the VM? Does that mean that there is no way to pass this
> information as a parameter like we can on Mac?
>
>
As far as I know you can pass a parameter, but even so, it won't be able to
allocate more than 512MB.
I can compile the VM for you with this change in 5 minutes. But I am not
sure that such simple code would make it work. I think such limit is there
because of something. Otherwise, it sounds stupid imposing a limit just
because.
The problem is that I cannot recompile the VM because I have no access to a
> Windows machine. Is there one available that provides more memory?
>
>
I don't think so, but start cc'ing the VM mailing list. You'd probably
receive more help.
Cheers
Mariano
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 21 Apr 2011, at 22:09, Alain_Rastoul wrote:
>
> > Hi Tudor,
> >
> > There is a constant in sqWin32Alloc.h (platforms\win32\vm) :
> > #define MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY 512*1024*1024
> > you can change it to whatever you want and rebuild the vm,
> > for exzmple give all the available memory less 256 M .
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Regards
> > Alain
> >
> > "Tudor Girba" <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> a écrit
> > dans le message de news: 03B9389F-C719-44D0-B106-2AC78B120F56(a)gmail.com.
> ..
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have no specific startUp: methods in Moose. In any case, the issue
> with
> > opening the image does not seem to be related to startUp:.
> >
> > Is it really true that the Cog VM is limited to 512MB of memory?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >
> >
> > On 21 Apr 2011, at 14:27, Luc Fabresse wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Doru,
> >>
> >> 2011/4/21 Tudor Girba
> >> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Apr 21, 2011, at 14:06, Mariano Martinez Peck
> >> <marianopeck(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Tudor Girba
> >>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>> Hi again,
> >>>>
> >>>> I did not say what the problem was :). The problem was that when
> >>>> opening the image on Windows, he got a Space is low message and the
> >>>> image was not usable (see attachment).
> >>>
> >>> That's weird. Does moose have something on the startup list?
> something
> >>> that can be bothering there?
> >>
> >> Not that I know of. Is there a way to check this?
> >>
> >> Classes should be registered using Smalltlak addToStartUpList: aClass
> >> Then aClass class>>#startUp: is executed at startup.
> >> So implementors of #startUp: on Moose classes should give you the
> answer.
> >>
> >> #Luc
> >>
> >>
> >> Actually, using exactly the same process some days ago he produced an
> >> image of 190MB. This one works just fine on Windows. The only difference
> >> between the two is the size of the loaded data.
> >>
> >> It would be really bad news if the Windows vm would be so severely
> limited
> >> in terms of memory.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru
> >>
> >>
> >>>
> >>> On Mac it worked just fine.
> >>>>
> >>>> Cheers,
> >>>> Doru
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> On 21 Apr 2011, at 12:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>> Hi,
> >>>>>
> >>>>> I received a question from someone running a 200MB image on Windows
> >>>>> using Cog 2361.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> If I open the image on Mac, it works just fine. Unfortunately, I do
> >>>>> not have a Windows machine around, and I cannot test but I believe it
> >>>>> should be solvable by increasing the allocated memory.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> On Mac, I would run it with: ./Croquet -memory 1500m
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Can anyone help me with the right incantation for Windows?
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Cheers,
> >>>>> Doru
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> --
> >>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
> >>>>>
> >>>>> "What we can governs what we wish."
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> <Space is low.png>
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>> www.tudorgirba.com
> >>>>
> >>>> "Yesterday is a fact.
> >>>> Tomorrow is a possibility.
> >>>> Today is a challenge."
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> Mariano
> >>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
> >>>
> >>
> >
> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "Beauty is where we see it."
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
> you will end up with a messy haircut."
>
>
>
--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
April 21, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] out of memory - cog on windows
by Tudor Girba
Hi,
Should I to understand that the only way to enable more memory is to recompile the VM? Does that mean that there is no way to pass this information as a parameter like we can on Mac?
The problem is that I cannot recompile the VM because I have no access to a Windows machine. Is there one available that provides more memory?
Cheers,
Doru
On 21 Apr 2011, at 22:09, Alain_Rastoul wrote:
> Hi Tudor,
>
> There is a constant in sqWin32Alloc.h (platforms\win32\vm) :
> #define MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY 512*1024*1024
> you can change it to whatever you want and rebuild the vm,
> for exzmple give all the available memory less 256 M .
>
> HTH
>
> Regards
> Alain
>
> "Tudor Girba" <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> a écrit
> dans le message de news: 03B9389F-C719-44D0-B106-2AC78B120F56(a)gmail.com...
> Hi,
>
> We have no specific startUp: methods in Moose. In any case, the issue with
> opening the image does not seem to be related to startUp:.
>
> Is it really true that the Cog VM is limited to 512MB of memory?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 21 Apr 2011, at 14:27, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>
>> Hi Doru,
>>
>> 2011/4/21 Tudor Girba
>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>> On Apr 21, 2011, at 14:06, Mariano Martinez Peck
>> <marianopeck(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Tudor Girba
>>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Hi again,
>>>>
>>>> I did not say what the problem was :). The problem was that when
>>>> opening the image on Windows, he got a Space is low message and the
>>>> image was not usable (see attachment).
>>>
>>> That's weird. Does moose have something on the startup list? something
>>> that can be bothering there?
>>
>> Not that I know of. Is there a way to check this?
>>
>> Classes should be registered using Smalltlak addToStartUpList: aClass
>> Then aClass class>>#startUp: is executed at startup.
>> So implementors of #startUp: on Moose classes should give you the answer.
>>
>> #Luc
>>
>>
>> Actually, using exactly the same process some days ago he produced an
>> image of 190MB. This one works just fine on Windows. The only difference
>> between the two is the size of the loaded data.
>>
>> It would be really bad news if the Windows vm would be so severely limited
>> in terms of memory.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>
>>>
>>> On Mac it worked just fine.
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Doru
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 21 Apr 2011, at 12:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I received a question from someone running a 200MB image on Windows
>>>>> using Cog 2361.
>>>>>
>>>>> If I open the image on Mac, it works just fine. Unfortunately, I do
>>>>> not have a Windows machine around, and I cannot test but I believe it
>>>>> should be solvable by increasing the allocated memory.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mac, I would run it with: ./Croquet -memory 1500m
>>>>>
>>>>> Can anyone help me with the right incantation for Windows?
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> Doru
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>>>
>>>>> "What we can governs what we wish."
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> <Space is low.png>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>>
>>>> "Yesterday is a fact.
>>>> Tomorrow is a possibility.
>>>> Today is a challenge."
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mariano
>>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>>>
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Beauty is where we see it."
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
--
www.tudorgirba.com
"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."
April 21, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] out of memory - cog on windows
by Alain_Rastoul
Hi Tudor,
There is a constant in sqWin32Alloc.h (platforms\win32\vm) :
#define MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY 512*1024*1024
you can change it to whatever you want and rebuild the vm,
for exzmple give all the available memory less 256 M .
HTH
Regards
Alain
"Tudor Girba" <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> a écrit
dans le message de news: 03B9389F-C719-44D0-B106-2AC78B120F56(a)gmail.com...
Hi,
We have no specific startUp: methods in Moose. In any case, the issue with
opening the image does not seem to be related to startUp:.
Is it really true that the Cog VM is limited to 512MB of memory?
Cheers,
Doru
On 21 Apr 2011, at 14:27, Luc Fabresse wrote:
> Hi Doru,
>
> 2011/4/21 Tudor Girba
> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com>
> Hi,
>
>
>
> On Apr 21, 2011, at 14:06, Mariano Martinez Peck
> <marianopeck(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Tudor Girba
>> <tudor.girba(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi again,
>> >
>> > I did not say what the problem was :). The problem was that when
>> > opening the image on Windows, he got a Space is low message and the
>> > image was not usable (see attachment).
>>
>> That's weird. Does moose have something on the startup list? something
>> that can be bothering there?
>
> Not that I know of. Is there a way to check this?
>
> Classes should be registered using Smalltlak addToStartUpList: aClass
> Then aClass class>>#startUp: is executed at startup.
> So implementors of #startUp: on Moose classes should give you the answer.
>
> #Luc
>
>
> Actually, using exactly the same process some days ago he produced an
> image of 190MB. This one works just fine on Windows. The only difference
> between the two is the size of the loaded data.
>
> It would be really bad news if the Windows vm would be so severely limited
> in terms of memory.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
>>
>> On Mac it worked just fine.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Doru
>> >
>> >
>>
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > On 21 Apr 2011, at 12:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> I received a question from someone running a 200MB image on Windows
>> >> using Cog 2361.
>> >>
>> >> If I open the image on Mac, it works just fine. Unfortunately, I do
>> >> not have a Windows machine around, and I cannot test but I believe it
>> >> should be solvable by increasing the allocated memory.
>> >>
>> >> On Mac, I would run it with: ./Croquet -memory 1500m
>> >>
>> >> Can anyone help me with the right incantation for Windows?
>> >>
>> >> Cheers,
>> >> Doru
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> www.tudorgirba.com
>> >>
>> >> "What we can governs what we wish."
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> <Space is low.png>
>> >
>> > --
>> > www.tudorgirba.com
>> >
>> > "Yesterday is a fact.
>> > Tomorrow is a possibility.
>> > Today is a challenge."
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mariano
>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>>
>
--
www.tudorgirba.com
"Beauty is where we see it."
April 21, 2011