Pharo-dev
By thread
pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org
By month
Messages by month
- ----- 2026 -----
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2025 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2024 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2023 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2022 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2021 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2020 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2019 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2018 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2017 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2016 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2015 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2014 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2013 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2012 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2011 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2010 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2009 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2008 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- 1 participants
- 144621 messages
Re: [Pharo-project] tests ui errors in headless mode
by Igor Stasenko
To simulate running test in headless mode, use following:
| old |
old := UIManager default.
UIManager default: old nonInteractiveManager.
[
1 inspect.
] ensure: [ UIManager default: old ]
and so, if you don't handle the error.. image will quit and error
logged to PharoDebug.log :
THERE_BE_DRAGONS_HERE
MessageNotUnderstood:
NonInteractiveUIManager>>openInspector:asMorphOn:withLabel:
26 May 2011 7:31:32 pm
VM: Mac OS - intel - 1066 - Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter
VMMaker-oscog-MarianoMartinezPeck.66] NBCog VM 4.0.0
Image: Pharo1.3a [Latest update: #13204]
NonInteractiveUIManager(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
#openInspector:asMorphOn:withLabel:
Receiver: a NonInteractiveUIManager
Arguments and temporary variables:
aMessage: openInspector: Inspector asMorphOn: 1
withLabel: 'SmallInteger: 1'
exception: MessageNotUnderstood:
NonInteractiveUIManager>>openInspector:asMorph...etc...
resumeValue: nil
Receiver's instance variables:
uiManager: a MorphicUIManager
doNotQuitOnRestart: false
You can also turn on #snapshotErrorImage setting, then on unhandled
error, before quit
an image will be saved (with different version) and if you open that
image you will see that error in debugger.
On 25 May 2011 21:21, Tudor Girba <tudor(a)tudorgirba.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have some smoke tests in Moose that basically spawn a UI and check for Error.
>
> This used to work when running headless in Pharo 1.2 but now they fail in Pharo 1.3. I believe this has to do with the new changes in the UI Manager, but I do not know what to do.
>
> To reproduce the problem, you can simply call a Pharo-1.3.image in headless mode and file in the attached st file that:
>
> - installs a simple test:
> HeadlessTest>>testStartup
> Â Â Â Â self shouldnt: Â [1 inspect] raise: Â Error
>
> - loads HudsonTools
>
> - runs the test and outputs the XML file report
>
> - although the test should pass, it raises the error:
> HeadlessStartupTest(TestCase)>>signalFailure:
> HeadlessStartupTest(TestCase)>>assert:
> HeadlessStartupTest(TestCase)>>shouldnt:raise:
> HeadlessStartupTest>>testStartup
> HeadlessStartupTest(TestCase)>>performTest
>
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"
>
>
--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
May 26, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] testing ui errors in headless mode
by Gary Chambers
Wonder what the default TooSet is in headless mode...
(since inspect goes via the tool set)
Regards, Gary
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tudor Girba" <tudor(a)tudorgirba.com>
To: "Pharo-project(a)lists.gforge.inria.fr open-source Smalltalk"
<pharo-project(a)lists.gforge.inria.fr>
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] testing ui errors in headless mode
Hi,
I tried several ways to get my head around this problem, but I do not know
how to proceed. Can anyone help?
Cheers,
Doru
On 25 May 2011, at 21:21, Tudor Girba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have some smoke tests in Moose that basically spawn a UI and check for
> Error.
>
> This used to work when running headless in Pharo 1.2 but now they fail in
> Pharo 1.3. I believe this has to do with the new changes in the UI
> Manager, but I do not know what to do.
>
> To reproduce the problem, you can simply call a Pharo-1.3.image in
> headless mode and file in the attached st file that:
>
> - installs a simple test:
> HeadlessTest>>testStartup
> self shouldnt: [1 inspect] raise: Error
>
> - loads HudsonTools
>
> - runs the test and outputs the XML file report
>
> - although the test should pass, it raises the error:
> HeadlessStartupTest(TestCase)>>signalFailure:
> HeadlessStartupTest(TestCase)>>assert:
> HeadlessStartupTest(TestCase)>>shouldnt:raise:
> HeadlessStartupTest>>testStartup
> HeadlessStartupTest(TestCase)>>performTest
>
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"
>
> <headlesstest.st>
--
www.tudorgirba.com
"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."
May 26, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] testing ui errors in headless mode
by Tudor Girba
Hi,
I tried several ways to get my head around this problem, but I do not know how to proceed. Can anyone help?
Cheers,
Doru
On 25 May 2011, at 21:21, Tudor Girba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have some smoke tests in Moose that basically spawn a UI and check for Error.
>
> This used to work when running headless in Pharo 1.2 but now they fail in Pharo 1.3. I believe this has to do with the new changes in the UI Manager, but I do not know what to do.
>
> To reproduce the problem, you can simply call a Pharo-1.3.image in headless mode and file in the attached st file that:
>
> - installs a simple test:
> HeadlessTest>>testStartup
> self shouldnt: [1 inspect] raise: Error
>
> - loads HudsonTools
>
> - runs the test and outputs the XML file report
>
> - although the test should pass, it raises the error:
> HeadlessStartupTest(TestCase)>>signalFailure:
> HeadlessStartupTest(TestCase)>>assert:
> HeadlessStartupTest(TestCase)>>shouldnt:raise:
> HeadlessStartupTest>>testStartup
> HeadlessStartupTest(TestCase)>>performTest
>
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"
>
> <headlesstest.st>
--
www.tudorgirba.com
"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."
May 26, 2011
[Pharo-project] Increasing the performances of a Seaside application
by Olivier Auverlot
Hello,
In the next weeks, I hope that I will start my first application with
Seaside. The first version is ready. It's a set of REST web services.
Now, I'm doing differents stress tests for evaluating the charge that my
product can support.
I'm using Pharo 1.2.1, Seaside, Seaside-REST, SqueakDBX, LDAPlayer and
XML-Parser. For the connector, I use AJPPharoAdaptator for the link
between my program and Apache.
Have you ideas or good practices for optimising the performances of a
Seaside application ?
Of course, I can installing my application on differents servers and
made load balancing but I think that the first thing that I must improve
is the code himself.
Working faster with a database and a LDAP are the first problems that I
want resolve. Someone worked on the pools of connections ?
What are the errors that I must avoid making ?
It's a large subject but it could be benefit to share experience in the
search of performance.
Best regards
Olivier ;-)
www.auverlot.fr
May 26, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] Tiling windows
by Gastón Dall' Oglio
2011/5/26 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont(a)gmail.com>
> 2011/5/26 Gastón Dall' Oglio <gaston.dalloglio(a)gmail.com>
>
>>
>>
>> 2011/5/26 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont(a)gmail.com>
>>
>>> Gastòn,
>>>
>>> I've downloaded the new version - thanks a lot for contributing, it
>>> brings fun :)
>>>
>>> Some comment:
>>>
>>> - tiling browsers don't work any more with
>>> OB, WMWithAnOBBrowserAndDockingBarsTest does not create an OBBrowser anymore
>>> but a Browser
>>>
>>
>> In 1.3 core there's not OBBrowser, then, when trying to modify a method
>> with reference to OBBrowser obtained an error. So I remove their references.
>>
>
>
> I see. I will refactor this so it will be compatible with Core and still
> work with OB (quite easy).
>
This would be great, because now I think, in a core are never the most
useful tools (Seaside control panel, memory monitor), and TWM should know
about them in some way (you apply a pattern to solve this problem?).
>
>
>
>> - you've changed TilingWM>>visibleWindows to TilingWM>>windows. The
>>> "visible" was not innocent, because tileVisibleWindows cares about windows
>>> that are not minimized. On the other side, tileWorkspaces tile all
>>> workspaces, minimized or not. So I think in final we may have:
>>>
>>> #tileVisibleWindows
>>> #tileWindows (maybe #tileAllWindows is a better name)
>>> #tileVisibleWorkspaces
>>> #tileWorkspaces / #tileAllWorkspaces
>>> ......
>>>
>>>
>> Please, see you the comment in de versión 5 of de package, "Now all botton
>> tile visibles windows.". I think it's better to just get organized visible
>> windows, even when done on a particular kind (such as workspaces). For this
>> is that the word was redundant now visible.
>>
>
>
> I will think about this.
>
When you have many windows, minimizing them is the way to let them
"suspended", therefore I think it should be organized only visibles.
>
>
> - I will add tests to TWMBar finally as it seems to grow
>>>
>>> - I want TilingWM to be 100% test coverage
>>>
>>
>> Sorry, give me some time for learn about this...
>>
>
>
> Don't hesitate to ask.
>
>
ok.
>
> - Balloon and spaces for TWMBar is a good idea - we need to make this work
>>> effectively :)
>>>
>>>
>> yes
>>
>>
>>> - Great to have all the buttons per type of applications !
>>>
>>
>> it is still very rudimentary way to filter the windows, but it was helpful
>> to learn about the hierarchy of classes 1.3, in regard to the Models for
>> example.
>>
>
>
> Indeed I've disable TaskBarMorph in my image as it's useless now :)
>
Great!!!
I'll be honest, this is my first serious development in Squeak / Pharo, so
it gives me much encouragement your comment, there is still much to learn
and improve, but it is very encouraging to devote time to something that
might be useful to others.
>
>
> Laurent.
>
>
>>
>>
>>>
>>> I've merge some of your changes in TWM-LaurentLaffont.5
>>>
>>
>>
>> :)
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs <http://twitter.com/#!/lolgzs>
>>>
>>> Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
>>> Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>>> Developer group: http://cara74.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> 2011/5/26 Gastón Dall' Oglio <gaston.dalloglio(a)gmail.com>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> 2011/5/25 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont(a)gmail.com>
>>>>
>>>>> 2011/5/25 Gastón Dall' Oglio <gaston.dalloglio(a)gmail.com>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Excelent!
>>>>>>
>>>>>> IMHO, it's better that's not integrated to TaskBarMorph, lets it free
>>>>>> :)
>>>>>> For example, click in unused space of the TWMBar and you can move it
>>>>>> around you wish in the screen, similar to use DockingBarMorph>>beFloating. I
>>>>>> attach screenshot.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Laurent, I improved (or not? :)) your work, if you think that is bad
>>>>>> for TWM simply undo it ;)
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Feel free to play. Just try to write tests for TilingWM please :)
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> ok. I load a new version to ss. Now teh button tile visible windows
>>>> only. I fixed the test...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> For TWMBar I'm not sure this will be a final GUI. Ideally all will be
>>>>> keyboard driven, I have to play with KeyMapping.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> yes, sure.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> I also think the UI theme Patrick has cleaned fits better with
>>>>> TilingWM:
>>>>>
>>>>> To try it:
>>>>>
>>>>> Gofer it
>>>>> squeaksource: 'PBASandbox';
>>>>> package: 'PBSandbox';
>>>>> load.
>>>>> StandardUITheme beCurrent.
>>>>>
>>>>> See screenshot.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> I try, yes.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Patrick, could you push this with a nice package name ?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Laurent.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> 2011/5/25 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont(a)gmail.com>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Now there's a button to open the world menu.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs <http://twitter.com/#!/lolgzs>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
>>>>>>> Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>>>>>>> Developer group: http://cara74.seasidehosting.st
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <
>>>>>>> laurent.laffont(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <
>>>>>>>> stephane.ducasse(a)inria.fr> wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I do not understand.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> how can I get a browser?
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Hey, this is just a start :) I will add a button to open the world
>>>>>>>> menu.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
>>>>>>>>> but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather
>>>>>>>>> small browsers :)
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid
>>>>>>>> of windows borders when tiled.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Laurent.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Stef
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> > TWMBar new open.
>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>> > The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>> > (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
>>>>>>>>> > (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
>>>>>>>>> > (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.
>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
May 26, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] Tiling windows
by laurent laffont
2011/5/26 Gastón Dall' Oglio <gaston.dalloglio(a)gmail.com>
>
>
> 2011/5/26 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont(a)gmail.com>
>
>> Gastòn,
>>
>> I've downloaded the new version - thanks a lot for contributing, it brings
>> fun :)
>>
>> Some comment:
>>
>> - tiling browsers don't work any more with
>> OB, WMWithAnOBBrowserAndDockingBarsTest does not create an OBBrowser anymore
>> but a Browser
>>
>
> In 1.3 core there's not OBBrowser, then, when trying to modify a method
> with reference to OBBrowser obtained an error. So I remove their references.
>
I see. I will refactor this so it will be compatible with Core and still
work with OB (quite easy).
> - you've changed TilingWM>>visibleWindows to TilingWM>>windows. The
>> "visible" was not innocent, because tileVisibleWindows cares about windows
>> that are not minimized. On the other side, tileWorkspaces tile all
>> workspaces, minimized or not. So I think in final we may have:
>>
>> #tileVisibleWindows
>> #tileWindows (maybe #tileAllWindows is a better name)
>> #tileVisibleWorkspaces
>> #tileWorkspaces / #tileAllWorkspaces
>> ......
>>
>>
> Please, see you the comment in de versión 5 of de package, "Now all botton
> tile visibles windows.". I think it's better to just get organized visible
> windows, even when done on a particular kind (such as workspaces). For this
> is that the word was redundant now visible.
>
I will think about this.
- I will add tests to TWMBar finally as it seems to grow
>>
>> - I want TilingWM to be 100% test coverage
>>
>
> Sorry, give me some time for learn about this...
>
Don't hesitate to ask.
- Balloon and spaces for TWMBar is a good idea - we need to make this work
>> effectively :)
>>
>>
> yes
>
>
>> - Great to have all the buttons per type of applications !
>>
>
> it is still very rudimentary way to filter the windows, but it was helpful
> to learn about the hierarchy of classes 1.3, in regard to the Models for
> example.
>
Indeed I've disable TaskBarMorph in my image as it's useless now :)
Laurent.
>
>
>>
>> I've merge some of your changes in TWM-LaurentLaffont.5
>>
>
>
> :)
>
>
>>
>>
>> Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs <http://twitter.com/#!/lolgzs>
>>
>> Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
>> Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>> Developer group: http://cara74.seasidehosting.st
>>
>>
>>
>> 2011/5/26 Gastón Dall' Oglio <gaston.dalloglio(a)gmail.com>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> 2011/5/25 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont(a)gmail.com>
>>>
>>>> 2011/5/25 Gastón Dall' Oglio <gaston.dalloglio(a)gmail.com>
>>>>
>>>>> Excelent!
>>>>>
>>>>> IMHO, it's better that's not integrated to TaskBarMorph, lets it free
>>>>> :)
>>>>> For example, click in unused space of the TWMBar and you can move it
>>>>> around you wish in the screen, similar to use DockingBarMorph>>beFloating. I
>>>>> attach screenshot.
>>>>>
>>>>> Laurent, I improved (or not? :)) your work, if you think that is bad
>>>>> for TWM simply undo it ;)
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Feel free to play. Just try to write tests for TilingWM please :)
>>>>
>>>>
>>> ok. I load a new version to ss. Now teh button tile visible windows only.
>>> I fixed the test...
>>>
>>>
>>>> For TWMBar I'm not sure this will be a final GUI. Ideally all will be
>>>> keyboard driven, I have to play with KeyMapping.
>>>>
>>>>
>>> yes, sure.
>>>
>>>
>>>> I also think the UI theme Patrick has cleaned fits better with TilingWM:
>>>>
>>>> To try it:
>>>>
>>>> Gofer it
>>>> squeaksource: 'PBASandbox';
>>>> package: 'PBSandbox';
>>>> load.
>>>> StandardUITheme beCurrent.
>>>>
>>>> See screenshot.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> I try, yes.
>>>
>>>
>>>> Patrick, could you push this with a nice package name ?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Laurent.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> 2011/5/25 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont(a)gmail.com>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Now there's a button to open the world menu.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs <http://twitter.com/#!/lolgzs>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
>>>>>> Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>>>>>> Developer group: http://cara74.seasidehosting.st
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <
>>>>>> laurent.laffont(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <
>>>>>>> stephane.ducasse(a)inria.fr> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I do not understand.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> how can I get a browser?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Hey, this is just a start :) I will add a button to open the world
>>>>>>> menu.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
>>>>>>>> but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather
>>>>>>>> small browsers :)
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of
>>>>>>> windows borders when tiled.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Laurent.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Stef
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> > TWMBar new open.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> > The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> > (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
>>>>>>>> > (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
>>>>>>>> > (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
May 26, 2011
[Pharo-project] [update 1.3] #13217
by Marcus Denker
13217
-----
Issue 4273: finalisation of FT2Handles
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=4273
Issue 4279: Little cleaning Paragraph/DisplayScanning
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=4279
Issue 4284: remove TextMorph #drawOnTest:
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=4284
Issue 4286: remove testSaveAndLoadImageSegmentToDiskWithGC:
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=4286
--
Marcus Denker -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
May 26, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] cog vm for iOS
by Igor Stasenko
On 25 May 2011 20:45, Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire.fernandes(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have no idea how hard it is to pass the apple check.
> It can indeed temper any effort doing a theme.
>
I think that i can express Apple's policy using single statement:
- why you using language X for your project, if you can implement same
in Objective C.
:)
> Hilaire
>
> Le 25/05/2011 18:29, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
>> Sorry, but no, this is not an option.
>> A theme will never pass the apple quality check :(
>>
>> Esteban
>>
>> El 25/05/2011, a las 1:22p.m., Hilaire Fernandes escribió:
>>
>>> A third option could be to build a polymorph theme for iPAD.
>>> This is an intermediate option I discussed a bit with Bert, to do a
>>> DrGeo port for iPAD.
>>> Frankly speaking if someone is interested to work with me on that
>>> direction we may be able to produce something in our range and useful
>>> for the community at large.
>>>
>>> Hilaire
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Le 25/05/2011 18:01, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
>>>> Well... I'm going to use this post to talk a bit about Pharo in iOS, because it is more complex than "having a vm working"
>>>> But first, a summary of where we stand:
>>>> 1) The Stack VM is working with iPhone/iPad, but needs some minor adjustments (some tuning).
>>>> One problem here is that I didn't integrate it to CMakeVMMaker (and as a consequence, to hudson), so build it is not a trivial task. But I will, as soon as some one jump and say "hey, I'm going to use it, for real!"... or as soon as I can find a free afternoon... it is planned (and I worked a little on this), but it is not a priority right now :)
>>>> 2) The Cog (I mean, the jitter) will never work on iPad/iPhone, because of the apple license (clause 3.3.2) and because of the security sandbox policy. But I think the Stack VM can do a pretty job. No, I'm not going to prepare this just for recreational purposes because I do not have the time, and the community work I do should be spent in things the community can use... and I think that Eliot (who is, in fact, the one who can do this, I'm just a builder) will think similar :)
>>>>
>>>> So... if we have a vm running on iOS, why there is no a legion of fellow pharoers taking over the appstore?
>>>>
>>>> Well... because it is not enough.
>>>> There are several problems, besides the vm working or not (to be fair, the interpreter vm works on iphone since at least two years, and John is the only one who succeed on pushing some nice smalltalk apps into the appstore).
>>>> The main problem is that our morphic world is ok for desktop working, and some times for desktop commercial apps (like those of pinesoft), but it just can't be used to create real apps for the iPhone/iPad market. There are some exceptions, like some eToys work and probable the developing of games like "tic-tac-toe" or so... (I mean: graphic games who can be done with morphs). But as a general rule, you can't do a real app in pharo/squeak who runs in the iPhone/iPad and can be sold in the appstore.
>>>> To overcome this problem, what John does is to create the full view in Cocoa, and "plug" the model to pharo/squeak images, using pharo as a module of a cocoa application. This can be done for several apps (and the fraction calculator is an example), but fails when you want a deeper interaction (because of the cost, not just in "programming time" but also the "translation time" between the cocoa app and pharo: it is just not good enough to bring a cool user experience (at least in all my experiments it was the case)
>>>>
>>>> There is another possible approach, who I think is the better in the long way, and that is what I was doing with Deimos project: using a bridge to construct, in pharo, real cocoa UI objects... the advantages with this are obvious. Nevertheless, there are also some problems with this approach:
>>>> 1) last year I was working on this, and apple changed a clause. The result can be expressed as if they executed: 'deimos become: shit'. Months after they review the policy, but I was concentrated on Mars (the desktop equivalent to Deimos). I will continue this, but first I want to finish Mars, and also I need to solve the problem below:
>>>> 2) there are also a performance problem with the ObjectiveC plugin and callbacks. In all my experiments, I never went below 70ms executing a callback from cocoa to pharo (and that's necessary, for example, to fill tables). The minimum time needed to have a cool "scroll" effect on tables is 40ms. Of course, iPhone 4 is better than 3gs... but the problem remains. The real thing is that ObjectiveC plugin relies on a semaphore communication model, and that's not good enough. So... I think the better approach here is to port FFI-Callback plugin (latest work of Eliot) to iOS. FFI-Callback plugin uses a whole different approach, who can overcome this performance issues (and some other who's not the case mention here).
>>>>
>>>> So... yes... I would love to finish this soon. But right now, other issues are top in priotity, and I just can't promise a release date. (Of course, the stackvm for iphone will be compiling on hudson some time soon... before ESUG for sure)
>>>>
>>>> hope this can explain all the status... :)
>>>>
>>>> cheers,
>>>> Esteban
>>>>
>>>> El 25/05/2011, a las 11:56a.m., Igor Stasenko escribió:
>>>>
>>>>> On 25 May 2011 16:22, Steve Wirts <stevewirts(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>> Hi All,
>>>>>> Sorry if this topic has been covered in a previous email, I couldn't find
>>>>>> anything conclusive so I'm posting it for my own clarity.
>>>>>> I am a smalltalk programmer at heart but have been working in java at a java
>>>>>> shop for sometime. Â Recently there's been a very strong directive from
>>>>>> management to "get everything working on an iPad".
>>>>>> I see a great opportunity to introduce pharo at the moment but need a way to
>>>>>> deploy to iPad/iPhone devices. Â I'm not a c programmer and am overwhelmed at
>>>>>> the thought of trying to build a cog vm for ios devices.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Is there a binary package of cog vm for iPad/iPhone available somewhere?
>>>>>
>>>>> Ask Esteban! :)
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Best regards,
>>>>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Education 0.2 -- http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Education 0.2 -- http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire
>
>
>
--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
May 26, 2011
Re: [Pharo-project] Tiling windows
by Gastón Dall' Oglio
2011/5/26 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont(a)gmail.com>
> Gastòn,
>
> I've downloaded the new version - thanks a lot for contributing, it brings
> fun :)
>
> Some comment:
>
> - tiling browsers don't work any more with
> OB, WMWithAnOBBrowserAndDockingBarsTest does not create an OBBrowser anymore
> but a Browser
>
In 1.3 core there's not OBBrowser, then, when trying to modify a method with
reference to OBBrowser obtained an error. So I remove their references.
>
> - you've changed TilingWM>>visibleWindows to TilingWM>>windows. The
> "visible" was not innocent, because tileVisibleWindows cares about windows
> that are not minimized. On the other side, tileWorkspaces tile all
> workspaces, minimized or not. So I think in final we may have:
>
> #tileVisibleWindows
> #tileWindows (maybe #tileAllWindows is a better name)
> #tileVisibleWorkspaces
> #tileWorkspaces / #tileAllWorkspaces
> ......
>
>
Please, see you the comment in de versión 5 of de package, "Now all botton
tile visibles windows.". I think it's better to just get organized visible
windows, even when done on a particular kind (such as workspaces). For this
is that the word was redundant now visible.
> - I will add tests to TWMBar finally as it seems to grow
>
> - I want TilingWM to be 100% test coverage
>
Sorry, give me some time for learn about this...
>
> - Balloon and spaces for TWMBar is a good idea - we need to make this work
> effectively :)
>
>
yes
> - Great to have all the buttons per type of applications !
>
it is still very rudimentary way to filter the windows, but it was helpful
to learn about the hierarchy of classes 1.3, in regard to the Models for
example.
>
> I've merge some of your changes in TWM-LaurentLaffont.5
>
:)
>
>
> Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs <http://twitter.com/#!/lolgzs>
>
> Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
> Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
> Developer group: http://cara74.seasidehosting.st
>
>
>
> 2011/5/26 Gastón Dall' Oglio <gaston.dalloglio(a)gmail.com>
>
>>
>>
>> 2011/5/25 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont(a)gmail.com>
>>
>>> 2011/5/25 Gastón Dall' Oglio <gaston.dalloglio(a)gmail.com>
>>>
>>>> Excelent!
>>>>
>>>> IMHO, it's better that's not integrated to TaskBarMorph, lets it free :)
>>>> For example, click in unused space of the TWMBar and you can move it
>>>> around you wish in the screen, similar to use DockingBarMorph>>beFloating. I
>>>> attach screenshot.
>>>>
>>>> Laurent, I improved (or not? :)) your work, if you think that is bad for
>>>> TWM simply undo it ;)
>>>>
>>>
>>> Feel free to play. Just try to write tests for TilingWM please :)
>>>
>>>
>> ok. I load a new version to ss. Now teh button tile visible windows only.
>> I fixed the test...
>>
>>
>>> For TWMBar I'm not sure this will be a final GUI. Ideally all will be
>>> keyboard driven, I have to play with KeyMapping.
>>>
>>>
>> yes, sure.
>>
>>
>>> I also think the UI theme Patrick has cleaned fits better with TilingWM:
>>>
>>> To try it:
>>>
>>> Gofer it
>>> squeaksource: 'PBASandbox';
>>> package: 'PBSandbox';
>>> load.
>>> StandardUITheme beCurrent.
>>>
>>> See screenshot.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> I try, yes.
>>
>>
>>> Patrick, could you push this with a nice package name ?
>>>
>>>
>>> Laurent.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> 2011/5/25 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont(a)gmail.com>
>>>>
>>>>> Now there's a button to open the world menu.
>>>>>
>>>>> Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs <http://twitter.com/#!/lolgzs>
>>>>>
>>>>> Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
>>>>> Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>>>>> Developer group: http://cara74.seasidehosting.st
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <
>>>>> laurent.laffont(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <
>>>>>> stephane.ducasse(a)inria.fr> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I do not understand.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> how can I get a browser?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hey, this is just a start :) I will add a button to open the world
>>>>>> menu.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
>>>>>>> but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather
>>>>>>> small browsers :)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of
>>>>>> windows borders when tiled.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Laurent.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Stef
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> > TWMBar new open.
>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>> > The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>> > (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
>>>>>>> > (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
>>>>>>> > (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.
>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
May 26, 2011
[Pharo-project] [update 1.3] #13216 (redone)
by Marcus Denker
***PLEASE USE THIS INSTEAD OF THE OTHER 13216***
13216
-----
Issue 4276: Clean up ToolsBuilder a little...
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=4276
Issue 4277: cleaning and fixing textMorph
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=4277
--
Marcus Denker -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
May 26, 2011