Pharo-dev
By thread
pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org
By month
Messages by month
- ----- 2026 -----
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2025 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2024 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2023 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2022 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2021 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2020 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2019 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2018 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2017 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2016 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2015 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2014 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2013 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2012 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2011 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2010 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2009 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2008 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- 1 participants
- 144621 messages
Re: [Pharo-dev] [Esug-list] [gsoc-mentors] The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude
by Damien Cassou
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek(a)eranova.si> wrote:
> This matter is actually very important for Smalltalk community, because
> it exposes nontransparent, meddling behind the scenes, and in some cases
> blatantly unethical behavior of some ESUG board members.
I thank you for your efforts running the GSoC marathon every year.
Nevertheless, as a member of the board I feel insulted again by you
Janko. I'm tired spending hours doing work for everyone and get such a
message as an answer
ESUG might have done a mistake giving 5000⬠to the students and not
the amount that people voted for. I should have paid more attention to
that and I apologize. That's all I will apologize for.
Now, I want to have details about your message. What do you mean by
"blatantly unethical behavior"? At which point have we been unethical?
Last time we talked about the representation of the Smalltalk
community in the ESUG board, I asked people from other communities to
apply and come work with us
(http://lists.esug.org/pipermail/esug-list_lists.esug.org/2012-July/001849.h…)
Nobody applied! I will ask again, thanks for the remainder. Who is
going to take care of ESUG if we focus on taking care of Pharo?
Please stop insulting people. If you want to stop organizing the GSoC
for the Smalltalk community just say it clearly and we will all thank
you for the effort you have put in during this last years. But if you
want to continue, please do it with ESUG as this is what the ESUG
community seems to want if I analyse the answers you got to the recent
threads.
--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill
Feb. 10, 2014
Re: [Pharo-dev] [gsoc-mentors] The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude
by phil@highoctane.be
Janko,
>From what I know from good business practices is that what helps in keeping
things in order is good financial management and transparency.
So, the general ledger should be made accessible so things are clear on
that front.
For the Google story, upfront payment by ESUG while waiting for Google
money should have been registered with postings that reflected that (like
with an account on "expected revenue from Google") and balanced against it.
If one would spend money beyond the credit limits, there would be an issue.
So, escalation should be taking place to decide.
There seems to be a board, and the board ultimately decides on that front.
Which it apparently did.
Whoever is not happy with that decision will at one point accept it as this
is the top decision point. Or start a revolution, split, or whatever.
There are always things going on behind the curtain. Politics is a fact of
life. I you have a personal gripe with some members, you put the dead rat
on the table. Now is it time time speak up about who/what/why and discuss
that with them.
Now, the Smalltalk community appears to be fragmented, and the Pharo|Squeak
technology, even if very cool, is currently not helping me much on the
revenue making front. My bottom line isn't booking more that EUR 15K on
Pharo related sales. Not that I am not pushing. I'd love to be putting
decent bread on the table through Pharo.
FWIW, when it comes to current trends like Internet of Things, BigData
[Hadoop stuff], and Mobile, Smalltalk is at ground zero given the
ecosystem. So, fighting internally like that isn't getting us forward while
everything is swooshing past.
Phil
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek(a)eranova.si>wrote:
> Phil,
>
> This matter is actually very important for Smalltalk community, because
> it exposes nontransparent, meddling behind the scenes, and in some cases
> blatantly unethical behavior of some ESUG board members. Which is
> certainly bad for our community on long term.
>
> Such matters need to be clarified and some conclusions to be made for a
> community to preserve health and go on. Otherwise you are drowning into
> murky waters more and more.
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> Dne 10. 02. 2014 09:12, piše phil(a)highoctane.be:
> > Guys,
> >
> > From the outside it just looks like a couple of spoiled kids battling in
> > the kindergarten.
> >
> > All of this is not moving Smalltalk and Pharo any single bit forward.
> > Backwards, there is a fair chance.
> >
> > Now, could you take this discussion elsewhere? Pick up a phone and talk.
> >
> > Who cares if anyone is right? Oh yeah, EUR 4K, what a huge amount to
> > fight over for an European org... (rolleyes).
> >
> > Phil
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Luc Fabresse <luc.fabresse(a)gmail.com
> > <mailto:luc.fabresse@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Janko,
> >
> > I do not have all numbers at hand now but in 2013 there were 4
> > extra-GSOC but we paid only 3 because one student gave
> > up (Jean-Baptiste Beuzelin).
> > So yes you are probably right that it remains money if we integrate
> > last year BUT we were willing to spend it.
> >
> > Luc
> >
> >
> > 2014-02-09 Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek(a)eranova.si
> > <mailto:janko.mivsek@eranova.si>>:
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > First to Luc: from your numbers it is clear that you are not to
> be
> > blamed on anything, because you were obviously misinformed and
> > misguided.
> >
> > Facts namely are:
> >
> > 1. GSoC mentors decided to pay extra stipendiums 3000 USD [1]
> while
> > ESUG without approval paid 2000 more, 5000 USD, without any
> > report
> > back to GSoC mentors,
> >
> > 2. GSoC mentors decided to add past GSoC2012 amount to the pool
> for
> > paying extra projects [2][3].
> >
> > Calculation (without the Summit expenses) therefore is:
> >
> > Income: GSoC 2012 13x 500 = 6.500 USD
> > GSoC 2013 13x 500 = 6.500 USD
> > ------------------------------
> > 13.000 USD
> >
> > Expenses:
> > Extra stipendiums: 3x 3.000 = 9.000 USD
> >
> > Difference: + 4.000 USD
> >
> > If ESUG would follow the decisions of GSoC mentors it wouldn't
> > loose any
> > money but gain 4.000 USD.
> >
> > Those that misinformed and misguided you needs therefore to
> > apologize to
> > you Luc, to the GSoC mentors and to me as admin!
> >
> > Janko
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/Yrlj8dIgGPg
> > [2]
> >
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/WwnxpkXzAB8
> > [3]
> >
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/tR44jdPT5Hw
> >
> >
> > Dne 09. 02. 2014 17:26, piše Luc Fabresse:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > ------------
> > > FACTS
> > >
> > > As you all know, I am the ESUG treasurer.
> > > So please find the numbers attached for the ESUG support of
> GSOC
> > > projects in 2013.
> > >
> > > ESUG sponsored 3 "extra-GSOC" meaning extra slots not accepted
> > by Google.
> > > In the file it is: Alejandro Infante, Pablo Estefo and
> > Benjamin Arezki.
> > >
> > > All in all we paid:
> > > - 3695EUR (~5000USD at that time i.e. same cost as a regular
> > GSOC) each
> > > projects
> > > - Serge trip to Mentor summit
> > >
> > > And we received 5552EUR from Google
> > >
> > > so yes we lost ~6582EUR
> > > That is easy 13*500 USD would only cover 1 plain extra-Gsoc
> and we
> > > sponsorized 3.
> > >
> > > I also think that it is important to send someone to the GSoc
> > mentor
> > > summit because it participates to the fact that Google
> > recognizes ESUG
> > > ang gives slots the next year.
> > >
> > > It is alos important to note dates.
> > > ESUG paid first and then has been refund by Google.
> > > It would not be possible to do it without ESUG.
> > >
> > > ------------
> > > FROM HERE, MY POINT OF VIEW ON THIS STORY:
> > >
> > > As some of you know, I doing the ESUG treasury stuff on my
> > *own* time
> > > and it takes a lot!
> > > I am doing it because I strongly believe that Smalltalk (all
> > falvors!)
> > > is a really great language that should be more widespread.
> > >
> > > I also completely open to discussions.
> > > The ESUG board can also explain its actions and even money
> status.
> > > I can do errors too.
> > > So if Janko wants some details on GSOC related money, JUST ASK!
> > >
> > > I cannot admit that:
> > >
> > > - Janko wrote about some money accusation. This is directly
> > directed
> > > against the treasurer so me.
> > > And honestly, just reading again that I am biased and that I
> > hide or
> > > steal money make me think that I should better quit.
> > >
> > > - Janko asked for apologies! what is that? even if I would
> > have done a
> > > mistake (and ESUG did not loose money), YOU STILL MUST THANK
> > ME for
> > > DOING THIS BORING TASK! and then I can correct mistakes if any
> > >
> > > - People wants an answer fast, this conversation started
> > yesterday and I
> > > am spending my week-end with my kids
> > >
> > >
> > > I am really fed up with this kind of attitude.
> > > Stop accuse, better ask, discuss and we will solve the
> > problems together
> > > if any.
> > > But I think it will never happen...
> > >
> > > #Luc
> > > The disgusted Treasurer of ESUG who will finish his week-end
> > in bad mood
> > >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Janko Mivšek
> > Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
> >
> >
> >
>
> --
> Janko Mivšek
> Svetovalec za informatiko
> Eranova d.o.o.
> Ljubljana, Slovenija
> www.eranova.si
> tel: 01 514 22 55
> faks: 01 514 22 56
> gsm: 031 674 565
>
>
Feb. 10, 2014
[pharo-project/pharo-core]
by GitHub
Branch: refs/tags/30753
Home: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-core
Feb. 10, 2014
[pharo-project/pharo-core] c77359: 30753
by GitHub
Branch: refs/heads/3.0
Home: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-core
Commit: c77359ae2f47ae21b1ac23155c58af4215877a90
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-core/commit/c77359ae2f47ae21b1ac2315…
Author: Jenkins Build Server <board(a)pharo-project.org>
Date: 2014-02-10 (Mon, 10 Feb 2014)
Changed paths:
A Nautilus.package/PackageTreeNautilusUI.class/instance/package/addPackageBasedOn_.st
M Nautilus.package/PackageTreeNautilusUI.class/instance/private/addClassCategoryBasedOn_.st
M OpalCompiler-Core.package/extension/MethodContext/instance/sourceNode.st
A OpalCompiler-Tests.package/MethodMapTests.class/instance/testing - ast mapping/inlinedBlockSourceNode.st
A OpalCompiler-Tests.package/MethodMapTests.class/instance/testing - ast mapping/testBlockWithArgAndEnclosedBlockSourceNode.st
A OpalCompiler-Tests.package/MethodMapTests.class/instance/testing - ast mapping/testThisContextSourceNodeInInlinedMessage.st
M RPackage-Core.package/RPackage.class/instance/class tags/addClassTag_.st
R RPackage-Core.package/RPackage.class/instance/private/importCategory.st
A RPackage-Core.package/RPackage.class/instance/testing/includesClassTagNamed_.st
A RPackage-Core.package/RPackageConflictError.class/README.md
A RPackage-Core.package/RPackageConflictError.class/definition.st
A RPackage-Core.package/RPackageOrganizer.class/instance/private/validateCanBeAddedPackageName_tagName_.st
A RPackage-Core.package/RPackageOrganizer.class/instance/private/validateCanBeAddedPackage_.st
A RPackage-Core.package/RPackageOrganizer.class/instance/private/validateCanBeAddedPackage_tagName_.st
M RPackage-Core.package/RPackageOrganizer.class/instance/public registration/registerPackage_.st
R RPackage-Tests.package/RPackageMCSynchronisationTest.class/instance/tests/testBasicImportSystemClass.st
R RPackage-Tests.package/RPackageMCSynchronisationTest.class/instance/we are not sure/testImportSystallManagershSubCategoryAndAnotherCategory.st
R RPackage-Tests.package/RPackageMCSynchronisationTest.class/instance/we are not sure/testImportSystemClassWithSubCategory.st
R RPackage-Tests.package/RPackageMCSynchronisationTest.class/instance/we are not sure/testImportSystemClassWithSubCategoryAndAnotherCategory.st
M RPackage-Tests.package/RPackageOrganizerTest.class/instance/tests extending/testTestingPackageExistence.st
M RPackage-Tests.package/RPackageOrganizerTest.class/instance/tests/testFullRegistration.st
A RPackage-Tests.package/RPackageOrganizerTest.class/instance/tests/testRegisterPackageConflictWithPackage.st
A RPackage-Tests.package/RPackageOrganizerTest.class/instance/tests/testRegisterPackageConflictWithPackageTag.st
A RPackage-Tests.package/RPackageOrganizerTest.class/instance/tests/testRegisterPackageTagConflictWithPackage.st
A ScriptLoader30.package/ScriptLoader.class/instance/pharo - scripts/script406.st
A ScriptLoader30.package/ScriptLoader.class/instance/pharo - updates/update30753.st
M ScriptLoader30.package/ScriptLoader.class/instance/public/commentForCurrentUpdate.st
Log Message:
-----------
30753
12832 OpalCompiler / Debugger - Unknown variable: please correct, or cancel
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/12832
12831 rpackages should not be registered is name matches packagetag name
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/12831
http://files.pharo.org/image/30/30753.zip
Feb. 10, 2014
Re: [Pharo-dev] Google Summer of Code is here, your ideas please!
by Serge Stinckwich
Like the two previous years, I would like to build a proposal about
SciSmalltalk :
https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk
This year, I'm considering proposing something that is related to
statistic stuff and/or timeseries analysis
We really need something like StatPy :
http://www.astro.cornell.edu/staff/loredo/statpy/
Pandas : http://pandas.pydata.org/
or scikits.timeseries: http://pytseries.sourceforge.net/
in the community. Anybody interested me to join me in order to wrote a
proposal ?
Regards,
On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek(a)eranova.si> wrote:
> Dear Smalltalkers,
>
> Tenth GSoC is here and application deadline is earlier this year,
> already next Friday!
>
> Time therefore for your cool project ideas on this year Smalltalk GSoC
> Hurry up!
>
> For now just express any idea you have here on the mailing list. Later
> we will together develop it to be in complete format together with two
> mentors needed. To see how fully developed ideas look like please look
> at 2012 ones at:http://gsoc2013.esug.org/ideas.
>
> Ideally (but not necessary right now) you should prepare an idea
> following this template:
>
> -----------------------------------------------
>
> Title:
>
> Level: (beginner, intermediate, advanced)
>
> Possible mentor: (can be assigned later)
>
> Possible second mentor: (can be assigned later)
>
> Description
>
> Technical Details
>
> Benefits to the Student
>
> Benefits to the Community
>
> -------------------------------------------------
>
> Note also that students yourselves can propose a GSoC project. So if you
> like to be a student on this year GSoC and have a nice idea, don't be
> shy and propose it here! The community will listen you and guide to the
> really nicely proposed project.
>
> For the community, start looking around for students. Think about how to
> approach the universities near by you, do you know who to contact
> there, etc.
>
> Our special website is in preparation and will be online in few days.
> Official Google GSoC site is here:
>
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014.
>
> Specially read carefully the FAQ:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc20…
>
> Mentors of all past GSoCs please rejoin the mentors mailing list where
> we discuss all details about this year GSoC:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors
>
> While students interested on GSoC please join a special Smalltalk GSoC
> mailing list for you:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-students
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> --
> Janko Mivšek
> Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
>
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/
Feb. 10, 2014
Re: [Pharo-dev] [gsoc-mentors] The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude
by Janko Mivšek
Phil,
This matter is actually very important for Smalltalk community, because
it exposes nontransparent, meddling behind the scenes, and in some cases
blatantly unethical behavior of some ESUG board members. Which is
certainly bad for our community on long term.
Such matters need to be clarified and some conclusions to be made for a
community to preserve health and go on. Otherwise you are drowning into
murky waters more and more.
Best regards
Janko
Dne 10. 02. 2014 09:12, piše phil(a)highoctane.be:
> Guys,
>
> From the outside it just looks like a couple of spoiled kids battling in
> the kindergarten.
>
> All of this is not moving Smalltalk and Pharo any single bit forward.
> Backwards, there is a fair chance.
>
> Now, could you take this discussion elsewhere? Pick up a phone and talk.
>
> Who cares if anyone is right? Oh yeah, EUR 4K, what a huge amount to
> fight over for an European org... (rolleyes).
>
> Phil
>
>
>
>
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Luc Fabresse <luc.fabresse(a)gmail.com
> <mailto:luc.fabresse@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi Janko,
>
> I do not have all numbers at hand now but in 2013 there were 4
> extra-GSOC but we paid only 3 because one student gave
> up (Jean-Baptiste Beuzelin).
> So yes you are probably right that it remains money if we integrate
> last year BUT we were willing to spend it.
>
> Luc
>
>
> 2014-02-09 Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek(a)eranova.si
> <mailto:janko.mivsek@eranova.si>>:
>
> Dear all,
>
> First to Luc: from your numbers it is clear that you are not to be
> blamed on anything, because you were obviously misinformed and
> misguided.
>
> Facts namely are:
>
> 1. GSoC mentors decided to pay extra stipendiums 3000 USD [1] while
> ESUG without approval paid 2000 more, 5000 USD, without any
> report
> back to GSoC mentors,
>
> 2. GSoC mentors decided to add past GSoC2012 amount to the pool for
> paying extra projects [2][3].
>
> Calculation (without the Summit expenses) therefore is:
>
> Income: GSoC 2012 13x 500 = 6.500 USD
> GSoC 2013 13x 500 = 6.500 USD
> ------------------------------
> 13.000 USD
>
> Expenses:
> Extra stipendiums: 3x 3.000 = 9.000 USD
>
> Difference: + 4.000 USD
>
> If ESUG would follow the decisions of GSoC mentors it wouldn't
> loose any
> money but gain 4.000 USD.
>
> Those that misinformed and misguided you needs therefore to
> apologize to
> you Luc, to the GSoC mentors and to me as admin!
>
> Janko
>
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/Yrlj8dIgGPg
> [2]
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/WwnxpkXzAB8
> [3]
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/tR44jdPT5Hw
>
>
> Dne 09. 02. 2014 17:26, piše Luc Fabresse:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > ------------
> > FACTS
> >
> > As you all know, I am the ESUG treasurer.
> > So please find the numbers attached for the ESUG support of GSOC
> > projects in 2013.
> >
> > ESUG sponsored 3 "extra-GSOC" meaning extra slots not accepted
> by Google.
> > In the file it is: Alejandro Infante, Pablo Estefo and
> Benjamin Arezki.
> >
> > All in all we paid:
> > - 3695EUR (~5000USD at that time i.e. same cost as a regular
> GSOC) each
> > projects
> > - Serge trip to Mentor summit
> >
> > And we received 5552EUR from Google
> >
> > so yes we lost ~6582EUR
> > That is easy 13*500 USD would only cover 1 plain extra-Gsoc and we
> > sponsorized 3.
> >
> > I also think that it is important to send someone to the GSoc
> mentor
> > summit because it participates to the fact that Google
> recognizes ESUG
> > ang gives slots the next year.
> >
> > It is alos important to note dates.
> > ESUG paid first and then has been refund by Google.
> > It would not be possible to do it without ESUG.
> >
> > ------------
> > FROM HERE, MY POINT OF VIEW ON THIS STORY:
> >
> > As some of you know, I doing the ESUG treasury stuff on my
> *own* time
> > and it takes a lot!
> > I am doing it because I strongly believe that Smalltalk (all
> falvors!)
> > is a really great language that should be more widespread.
> >
> > I also completely open to discussions.
> > The ESUG board can also explain its actions and even money status.
> > I can do errors too.
> > So if Janko wants some details on GSOC related money, JUST ASK!
> >
> > I cannot admit that:
> >
> > - Janko wrote about some money accusation. This is directly
> directed
> > against the treasurer so me.
> > And honestly, just reading again that I am biased and that I
> hide or
> > steal money make me think that I should better quit.
> >
> > - Janko asked for apologies! what is that? even if I would
> have done a
> > mistake (and ESUG did not loose money), YOU STILL MUST THANK
> ME for
> > DOING THIS BORING TASK! and then I can correct mistakes if any
> >
> > - People wants an answer fast, this conversation started
> yesterday and I
> > am spending my week-end with my kids
> >
> >
> > I am really fed up with this kind of attitude.
> > Stop accuse, better ask, discuss and we will solve the
> problems together
> > if any.
> > But I think it will never happen...
> >
> > #Luc
> > The disgusted Treasurer of ESUG who will finish his week-end
> in bad mood
> >
>
>
> --
> Janko Mivšek
> Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
>
>
>
--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel: 01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565
Feb. 10, 2014
Re: [Pharo-dev] [gsoc-mentors] The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude
by phil@highoctane.be
Guys,
>From the outside it just looks like a couple of spoiled kids battling in
the kindergarten.
All of this is not moving Smalltalk and Pharo any single bit forward.
Backwards, there is a fair chance.
Now, could you take this discussion elsewhere? Pick up a phone and talk.
Who cares if anyone is right? Oh yeah, EUR 4K, what a huge amount to fight
over for an European org... (rolleyes).
Phil
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Luc Fabresse <luc.fabresse(a)gmail.com>wrote:
> Hi Janko,
>
> I do not have all numbers at hand now but in 2013 there were 4 extra-GSOC
> but we paid only 3 because one student gave up (Jean-Baptiste Beuzelin).
> So yes you are probably right that it remains money if we integrate last
> year BUT we were willing to spend it.
>
> Luc
>
>
> 2014-02-09 Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek(a)eranova.si>:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> First to Luc: from your numbers it is clear that you are not to be
>> blamed on anything, because you were obviously misinformed and misguided.
>>
>> Facts namely are:
>>
>> 1. GSoC mentors decided to pay extra stipendiums 3000 USD [1] while
>> ESUG without approval paid 2000 more, 5000 USD, without any report
>> back to GSoC mentors,
>>
>> 2. GSoC mentors decided to add past GSoC2012 amount to the pool for
>> paying extra projects [2][3].
>>
>> Calculation (without the Summit expenses) therefore is:
>>
>> Income: GSoC 2012 13x 500 = 6.500 USD
>> GSoC 2013 13x 500 = 6.500 USD
>> ------------------------------
>> 13.000 USD
>>
>> Expenses:
>> Extra stipendiums: 3x 3.000 = 9.000 USD
>>
>> Difference: + 4.000 USD
>>
>> If ESUG would follow the decisions of GSoC mentors it wouldn't loose any
>> money but gain 4.000 USD.
>>
>> Those that misinformed and misguided you needs therefore to apologize to
>> you Luc, to the GSoC mentors and to me as admin!
>>
>> Janko
>>
>> [1]
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/Yrlj8dIgGPg
>> [2]
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/WwnxpkXzAB8
>> [3]
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/tR44jdPT5Hw
>>
>>
>> Dne 09. 02. 2014 17:26, piše Luc Fabresse:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > ------------
>> > FACTS
>> >
>> > As you all know, I am the ESUG treasurer.
>> > So please find the numbers attached for the ESUG support of GSOC
>> > projects in 2013.
>> >
>> > ESUG sponsored 3 "extra-GSOC" meaning extra slots not accepted by
>> Google.
>> > In the file it is: Alejandro Infante, Pablo Estefo and Benjamin Arezki.
>> >
>> > All in all we paid:
>> > - 3695EUR (~5000USD at that time i.e. same cost as a regular GSOC) each
>> > projects
>> > - Serge trip to Mentor summit
>> >
>> > And we received 5552EUR from Google
>> >
>> > so yes we lost ~6582EUR
>> > That is easy 13*500 USD would only cover 1 plain extra-Gsoc and we
>> > sponsorized 3.
>> >
>> > I also think that it is important to send someone to the GSoc mentor
>> > summit because it participates to the fact that Google recognizes ESUG
>> > ang gives slots the next year.
>> >
>> > It is alos important to note dates.
>> > ESUG paid first and then has been refund by Google.
>> > It would not be possible to do it without ESUG.
>> >
>> > ------------
>> > FROM HERE, MY POINT OF VIEW ON THIS STORY:
>> >
>> > As some of you know, I doing the ESUG treasury stuff on my *own* time
>> > and it takes a lot!
>> > I am doing it because I strongly believe that Smalltalk (all falvors!)
>> > is a really great language that should be more widespread.
>> >
>> > I also completely open to discussions.
>> > The ESUG board can also explain its actions and even money status.
>> > I can do errors too.
>> > So if Janko wants some details on GSOC related money, JUST ASK!
>> >
>> > I cannot admit that:
>> >
>> > - Janko wrote about some money accusation. This is directly directed
>> > against the treasurer so me.
>> > And honestly, just reading again that I am biased and that I hide or
>> > steal money make me think that I should better quit.
>> >
>> > - Janko asked for apologies! what is that? even if I would have done a
>> > mistake (and ESUG did not loose money), YOU STILL MUST THANK ME for
>> > DOING THIS BORING TASK! and then I can correct mistakes if any
>> >
>> > - People wants an answer fast, this conversation started yesterday and I
>> > am spending my week-end with my kids
>> >
>> >
>> > I am really fed up with this kind of attitude.
>> > Stop accuse, better ask, discuss and we will solve the problems together
>> > if any.
>> > But I think it will never happen...
>> >
>> > #Luc
>> > The disgusted Treasurer of ESUG who will finish his week-end in bad mood
>> >
>>
>>
>> --
>> Janko Mivšek
>> Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
>>
>
>
Feb. 10, 2014
Re: [Pharo-dev] [gsoc-mentors] The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude
by Luc Fabresse
Hi Janko,
I do not have all numbers at hand now but in 2013 there were 4 extra-GSOC
but we paid only 3 because one student gave up (Jean-Baptiste Beuzelin).
So yes you are probably right that it remains money if we integrate last
year BUT we were willing to spend it.
Luc
2014-02-09 Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek(a)eranova.si>:
> Dear all,
>
> First to Luc: from your numbers it is clear that you are not to be
> blamed on anything, because you were obviously misinformed and misguided.
>
> Facts namely are:
>
> 1. GSoC mentors decided to pay extra stipendiums 3000 USD [1] while
> ESUG without approval paid 2000 more, 5000 USD, without any report
> back to GSoC mentors,
>
> 2. GSoC mentors decided to add past GSoC2012 amount to the pool for
> paying extra projects [2][3].
>
> Calculation (without the Summit expenses) therefore is:
>
> Income: GSoC 2012 13x 500 = 6.500 USD
> GSoC 2013 13x 500 = 6.500 USD
> ------------------------------
> 13.000 USD
>
> Expenses:
> Extra stipendiums: 3x 3.000 = 9.000 USD
>
> Difference: + 4.000 USD
>
> If ESUG would follow the decisions of GSoC mentors it wouldn't loose any
> money but gain 4.000 USD.
>
> Those that misinformed and misguided you needs therefore to apologize to
> you Luc, to the GSoC mentors and to me as admin!
>
> Janko
>
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/Yrlj8dIgGPg
> [2]
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/WwnxpkXzAB8
> [3]
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/tR44jdPT5Hw
>
>
> Dne 09. 02. 2014 17:26, piše Luc Fabresse:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > ------------
> > FACTS
> >
> > As you all know, I am the ESUG treasurer.
> > So please find the numbers attached for the ESUG support of GSOC
> > projects in 2013.
> >
> > ESUG sponsored 3 "extra-GSOC" meaning extra slots not accepted by Google.
> > In the file it is: Alejandro Infante, Pablo Estefo and Benjamin Arezki.
> >
> > All in all we paid:
> > - 3695EUR (~5000USD at that time i.e. same cost as a regular GSOC) each
> > projects
> > - Serge trip to Mentor summit
> >
> > And we received 5552EUR from Google
> >
> > so yes we lost ~6582EUR
> > That is easy 13*500 USD would only cover 1 plain extra-Gsoc and we
> > sponsorized 3.
> >
> > I also think that it is important to send someone to the GSoc mentor
> > summit because it participates to the fact that Google recognizes ESUG
> > ang gives slots the next year.
> >
> > It is alos important to note dates.
> > ESUG paid first and then has been refund by Google.
> > It would not be possible to do it without ESUG.
> >
> > ------------
> > FROM HERE, MY POINT OF VIEW ON THIS STORY:
> >
> > As some of you know, I doing the ESUG treasury stuff on my *own* time
> > and it takes a lot!
> > I am doing it because I strongly believe that Smalltalk (all falvors!)
> > is a really great language that should be more widespread.
> >
> > I also completely open to discussions.
> > The ESUG board can also explain its actions and even money status.
> > I can do errors too.
> > So if Janko wants some details on GSOC related money, JUST ASK!
> >
> > I cannot admit that:
> >
> > - Janko wrote about some money accusation. This is directly directed
> > against the treasurer so me.
> > And honestly, just reading again that I am biased and that I hide or
> > steal money make me think that I should better quit.
> >
> > - Janko asked for apologies! what is that? even if I would have done a
> > mistake (and ESUG did not loose money), YOU STILL MUST THANK ME for
> > DOING THIS BORING TASK! and then I can correct mistakes if any
> >
> > - People wants an answer fast, this conversation started yesterday and I
> > am spending my week-end with my kids
> >
> >
> > I am really fed up with this kind of attitude.
> > Stop accuse, better ask, discuss and we will solve the problems together
> > if any.
> > But I think it will never happen...
> >
> > #Luc
> > The disgusted Treasurer of ESUG who will finish his week-end in bad mood
> >
>
>
> --
> Janko Mivšek
> Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
>
Feb. 10, 2014
Re: [Pharo-dev] [gsoc-mentors] The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude
by Janko Mivšek
Dear all,
First to Luc: from your numbers it is clear that you are not to be
blamed on anything, because you were obviously misinformed and misguided.
Facts namely are:
1. GSoC mentors decided to pay extra stipendiums 3000 USD [1] while
ESUG without approval paid 2000 more, 5000 USD, without any report
back to GSoC mentors,
2. GSoC mentors decided to add past GSoC2012 amount to the pool for
paying extra projects [2][3].
Calculation (without the Summit expenses) therefore is:
Income: GSoC 2012 13x 500 = 6.500 USD
GSoC 2013 13x 500 = 6.500 USD
------------------------------
13.000 USD
Expenses:
Extra stipendiums: 3x 3.000 = 9.000 USD
Difference: + 4.000 USD
If ESUG would follow the decisions of GSoC mentors it wouldn't loose any
money but gain 4.000 USD.
Those that misinformed and misguided you needs therefore to apologize to
you Luc, to the GSoC mentors and to me as admin!
Janko
[1]
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/Yrlj8dIgGPg
[2]
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/WwnxpkXzAB8
[3]
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/tR44jdPT5Hw
Dne 09. 02. 2014 17:26, piše Luc Fabresse:
> Hi all,
>
> ------------
> FACTS
>
> As you all know, I am the ESUG treasurer.
> So please find the numbers attached for the ESUG support of GSOC
> projects in 2013.
>
> ESUG sponsored 3 "extra-GSOC" meaning extra slots not accepted by Google.
> In the file it is: Alejandro Infante, Pablo Estefo and Benjamin Arezki.
>
> All in all we paid:
> - 3695EUR (~5000USD at that time i.e. same cost as a regular GSOC) each
> projects
> - Serge trip to Mentor summit
>
> And we received 5552EUR from Google
>
> so yes we lost ~6582EUR
> That is easy 13*500 USD would only cover 1 plain extra-Gsoc and we
> sponsorized 3.
>
> I also think that it is important to send someone to the GSoc mentor
> summit because it participates to the fact that Google recognizes ESUG
> ang gives slots the next year.
>
> It is alos important to note dates.
> ESUG paid first and then has been refund by Google.
> It would not be possible to do it without ESUG.
>
> ------------
> FROM HERE, MY POINT OF VIEW ON THIS STORY:
>
> As some of you know, I doing the ESUG treasury stuff on my *own* time
> and it takes a lot!
> I am doing it because I strongly believe that Smalltalk (all falvors!)
> is a really great language that should be more widespread.
>
> I also completely open to discussions.
> The ESUG board can also explain its actions and even money status.
> I can do errors too.
> So if Janko wants some details on GSOC related money, JUST ASK!
>
> I cannot admit that:
>
> - Janko wrote about some money accusation. This is directly directed
> against the treasurer so me.
> And honestly, just reading again that I am biased and that I hide or
> steal money make me think that I should better quit.
>
> - Janko asked for apologies! what is that? even if I would have done a
> mistake (and ESUG did not loose money), YOU STILL MUST THANK ME for
> DOING THIS BORING TASK! and then I can correct mistakes if any
>
> - People wants an answer fast, this conversation started yesterday and I
> am spending my week-end with my kids
>
>
> I am really fed up with this kind of attitude.
> Stop accuse, better ask, discuss and we will solve the problems together
> if any.
> But I think it will never happen...
>
> #Luc
> The disgusted Treasurer of ESUG who will finish his week-end in bad mood
>
--
Janko Mivšek
Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
Feb. 9, 2014
Re: [Pharo-dev] [Pharo-users] The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude
by Sven Van Caekenberghe
Luc,
I think many people, if not most, including myself very much appreciate all the work that you and others have been doing behind the scenes. Thank you !
Things, even small ones, do not happen by themselves. Running an international organisation is not a small thing. ESUG certainly has a nice track record.
Sven
On 09 Feb 2014, at 17:26, Luc Fabresse <luc.fabresse(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> ------------
> FACTS
>
> As you all know, I am the ESUG treasurer.
> So please find the numbers attached for the ESUG support of GSOC projects in 2013.
>
> ESUG sponsored 3 "extra-GSOC" meaning extra slots not accepted by Google.
> In the file it is: Alejandro Infante, Pablo Estefo and Benjamin Arezki.
>
> All in all we paid:
> - 3695EUR (~5000USD at that time i.e. same cost as a regular GSOC) each projects
> - Serge trip to Mentor summit
>
> And we received 5552EUR from Google
>
> so yes we lost ~6582EUR
> That is easy 13*500 USD would only cover 1 plain extra-Gsoc and we sponsorized 3.
>
> I also think that it is important to send someone to the GSoc mentor summit because it participates to the fact that Google recognizes ESUG ang gives slots the next year.
>
> It is alos important to note dates.
> ESUG paid first and then has been refund by Google.
> It would not be possible to do it without ESUG.
>
> ------------
> FROM HERE, MY POINT OF VIEW ON THIS STORY:
>
> As some of you know, I doing the ESUG treasury stuff on my *own* time and it takes a lot!
> I am doing it because I strongly believe that Smalltalk (all falvors!) is a really great language that should be more widespread.
>
> I also completely open to discussions.
> The ESUG board can also explain its actions and even money status.
> I can do errors too.
> So if Janko wants some details on GSOC related money, JUST ASK!
>
> I cannot admit that:
>
> - Janko wrote about some money accusation. This is directly directed against the treasurer so me.
> And honestly, just reading again that I am biased and that I hide or steal money make me think that I should better quit.
>
> - Janko asked for apologies! what is that? even if I would have done a mistake (and ESUG did not loose money), YOU STILL MUST THANK ME for DOING THIS BORING TASK! and then I can correct mistakes if any
>
> - People wants an answer fast, this conversation started yesterday and I am spending my week-end with my kids
>
>
> I am really fed up with this kind of attitude.
> Stop accuse, better ask, discuss and we will solve the problems together if any.
> But I think it will never happen...
>
> #Luc
> The disgusted Treasurer of ESUG who will finish his week-end in bad mood
>
>
> <2013-GsocSupportFromESUG.pdf>
Feb. 9, 2014