How to port VW code to Pharo?

AK
Aik-Siong Koh
Wed, Aug 2, 2023 5:29 PM

Hi:

I would like to port my VW code for motion simulation
http://askoh.com/stcad/index.html
to Pharo. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Aik-Siong Koh

Hi: I would like to port my VW code for motion simulation http://askoh.com/stcad/index.html to Pharo. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Aik-Siong Koh
MR
Miloslav.Raus@cuzk.cz
Fri, Aug 4, 2023 10:00 AM

Hi,

ask on the VW mailing list (or search the interwebs; currently can't remember what specific to search for besides: porting pharo visualworks namespaces), someone was boasting pretty complete exporter, capable of "de-namespacing", among other things.

It was used to port some other sizeable project to Pharo, AFAIR.

Sorry, that's all I have.

From: Aik-Siong Koh askoh@askoh.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 2, 2023 7:29:48 PM
To: Pharo Development List
Subject: [Pharo-dev] How to port VW code to Pharo?

Hi:

I would like to port my VW code for motion simulation
http://askoh.com/stcad/index.html
to Pharo. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Aik-Siong Koh

Hi, ask on the VW mailing list (or search the interwebs; currently can't remember what specific to search for besides: porting pharo visualworks namespaces), someone was boasting pretty complete exporter, capable of "de-namespacing", among other things. It was used to port some other sizeable project to Pharo, AFAIR. Sorry, that's all I have. ________________________________ From: Aik-Siong Koh <askoh@askoh.com> Sent: Wednesday, August 2, 2023 7:29:48 PM To: Pharo Development List Subject: [Pharo-dev] How to port VW code to Pharo? Hi: I would like to port my VW code for motion simulation http://askoh.com/stcad/index.html to Pharo. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Aik-Siong Koh
SD
stephane ducasse
Sun, Aug 6, 2023 8:10 PM

Hi Aik-Siong

  • Check the archives of this mailing-list because people discussed it.

  • Do you have tests because it can really help you?
    The tests in Moose really helped me when I migrated Moose from VW to Pharo.

  • you may have some differences with float precision.

  • Some people such as Christian Haidler or Pavel Krivanek did some exporting tools from VW.
    In the past, I published on store a file format for Squeak (and you should patch the assignment because pharo does not support _)

  • You may have some issues with namespaces but if you did not use private import you can just map a namespace to a class prefix.

  • I suggest that
    you build a baseline as soon as you start to have a package.
    you commit on github
    you add GH actions running your tests
    there is an intensive documentation on baseline in the
    https://github.com/pharo-open-documentation/pharo-wiki

  • Will you port GF/ST too?

  • I have a limited amount of time but I could give you some hands.
    Now I do not have access to VW for years.

On 2 Aug 2023, at 19:29, Aik-Siong Koh askoh@askoh.com wrote:

Hi:

I would like to port my VW code for motion simulation
http://askoh.com/stcad/index.html
to Pharo. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Aik-Siong Koh

Hi Aik-Siong - Check the archives of this mailing-list because people discussed it. - Do you have tests because it can really help you? The tests in Moose really helped me when I migrated Moose from VW to Pharo. - you may have some differences with float precision. - Some people such as Christian Haidler or Pavel Krivanek did some exporting tools from VW. In the past, I published on store a file format for Squeak (and you should patch the assignment because pharo does not support _) - You may have some issues with namespaces but if you did not use private import you can just map a namespace to a class prefix. - I suggest that you build a baseline as soon as you start to have a package. you commit on github you add GH actions running your tests there is an intensive documentation on baseline in the https://github.com/pharo-open-documentation/pharo-wiki - Will you port GF/ST too? - I have a limited amount of time but I could give you some hands. Now I do not have access to VW for years. S > On 2 Aug 2023, at 19:29, Aik-Siong Koh <askoh@askoh.com> wrote: > > Hi: > > I would like to port my VW code for motion simulation > http://askoh.com/stcad/index.html > to Pharo. Any advice is appreciated. > > Thanks, > Aik-Siong Koh