[ANN] success story: ApptiveGrid

NH
Norbert Hartl
Tue, Dec 12, 2023 12:02 PM

I wanted to write this for a very long time now…so finally…I’m very proud to announce a new success story: ApptiveGrid

ApptiveGrid is a SaaS tool to digitalize and automatize business processes.

On the one hand ApptiveGrid is visual database that enables you to model your database via web frontend. At the same time this model is available via REST API.

On top of the data model a form creator turns your model into a form that you can send e.g. via email to inquire data from other people…

On the other hand ApptiveGrid is a workflow system where you can define your work flow in the web frontend and connect to events. These events are either internal (resulting from a change in your data model) or external where you can use web hooks to kick of work flows.

With the combination of both parts ApptiveGrid is able to solve many of modern digital workflows. It enables to make it for low cost and in almost no time which are two pretty good reasons to use it. If you want to use it just visit: http://www.apptivegrid.de. ApptiveGrid provides a start plan at no cost where most of the functionalities are available. If you have additional needs just write me. For the people in the pharo community I’m sure we can provide a bit more on top.

About the tech stack:

  • The business backend of ApptiveGrid is 100% pharo
  • It uses https://github.com/svenvc/zinc components for the HTTP frontend
  • and https://github.com/ApptiveGrid/Soil as the persistence solution.
  • Each user has its own database (an empty soil database is 24kb on disk, could be made even approx. 5kb). There are over 3100 databases in the system right now
  • one pharo image holds multiple soil databases open and provides memory caching for the objects
  • routing of requests is done with haproxy connection persistence
  • the web frontend is made with Vue.js and a pharo library that we transpile to JS with PharoJS

If you are interested you can also watch my ESUG videos at https://www.youtube.com/@esugboard. All talks in the last 2 years were about ApptiveGrid

If you have question, don’t hesitate to ask, I’m happy to answer!

Norbert

[...]
NB
Noury Bouraqadi
Thu, Dec 14, 2023 12:06 PM

That's one cool success story. Kudos!

Noury
On Dec 12 2023, at 1:02 pm, Norbert Hartl norbert@hartl.name wrote:

[...]

That's one cool success story. Kudos! Noury On Dec 12 2023, at 1:02 pm, Norbert Hartl <norbert@hartl.name> wrote: > I wanted to write this for a very long time now…so finally…I’m very proud to announce a new success story: ApptiveGrid > > ApptiveGrid is a SaaS tool to digitalize and automatize business processes. > On the one hand ApptiveGrid is visual database that enables you to model your database via web frontend. At the same time this model is available via REST API. > > > On top of the data model a form creator turns your model into a form that you can send e.g. via email to inquire data from other people… > > > On the other hand ApptiveGrid is a workflow system where you can define your work flow in the web frontend and connect to events. These events are either internal (resulting from a change in your data model) or external where you can use web hooks to kick of work flows. > > > With the combination of both parts ApptiveGrid is able to solve many of modern digital workflows. It enables to make it for low cost and in almost no time which are two pretty good reasons to use it. If you want to use it just visit: http://www.apptivegrid.de. ApptiveGrid provides a start plan at no cost where most of the functionalities are available. If you have additional needs just write me. For the people in the pharo community I’m sure we can provide a bit more on top. > About the tech stack: > - The business backend of ApptiveGrid is 100% pharo > - It uses https://github.com/svenvc/zinc components for the HTTP frontend > - and https://github.com/ApptiveGrid/Soil as the persistence solution. > - Each user has its own database (an empty soil database is 24kb on disk, could be made even approx. 5kb). There are over 3100 databases in the system right now > - one pharo image holds multiple soil databases open and provides memory caching for the objects > - routing of requests is done with haproxy connection persistence > - the web frontend is made with Vue.js and a pharo library that we transpile to JS with PharoJS > > If you are interested you can also watch my ESUG videos at https://www.youtube.com/@esugboard. All talks in the last 2 years were about ApptiveGrid > If you have question, don’t hesitate to ask, I’m happy to answer! > Norbert
SV
Sven Van Caekenberghe
Thu, Dec 14, 2023 2:19 PM

Yes, this is a really nice project, the front end as well.

It reminds me a bit of FileMaker, but for the web.

I am hoping you have commercial success with ApptiveGrid !

On 12 Dec 2023, at 13:02, Norbert Hartl norbert@hartl.name wrote:

I wanted to write this for a very long time now…so finally…I’m very proud to announce a new success story: ApptiveGrid

ApptiveGrid is a SaaS tool to digitalize and automatize business processes.

On the one hand ApptiveGrid is visual database that enables you to model your database via web frontend. At the same time this model is available via REST API.

<Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.39.29.png>

On top of the data model a form creator turns your model into a form that you can send e.g. via email to inquire data from other people…

<Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.40.48.png>

On the other hand ApptiveGrid is a workflow system where you can define your work flow in the web frontend and connect to events. These events are either internal (resulting from a change in your data model) or external where you can use web hooks to kick of work flows.

<Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.44.10.png>

[...]

Yes, this is a really nice project, the front end as well. It reminds me a bit of FileMaker, but for the web. I am hoping you have commercial success with ApptiveGrid ! > On 12 Dec 2023, at 13:02, Norbert Hartl <norbert@hartl.name> wrote: > > I wanted to write this for a very long time now…so finally…I’m very proud to announce a new success story: ApptiveGrid > > ApptiveGrid is a SaaS tool to digitalize and automatize business processes. > > On the one hand ApptiveGrid is visual database that enables you to model your database via web frontend. At the same time this model is available via REST API. > > <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.39.29.png> > > On top of the data model a form creator turns your model into a form that you can send e.g. via email to inquire data from other people… > > <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.40.48.png> > > On the other hand ApptiveGrid is a workflow system where you can define your work flow in the web frontend and connect to events. These events are either internal (resulting from a change in your data model) or external where you can use web hooks to kick of work flows. > > <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.44.10.png> > > With the combination of both parts ApptiveGrid is able to solve many of modern digital workflows. It enables to make it for low cost and in almost no time which are two pretty good reasons to use it. If you want to use it just visit: http://www.apptivegrid.de. ApptiveGrid provides a start plan at no cost where most of the functionalities are available. If you have additional needs just write me. For the people in the pharo community I’m sure we can provide a bit more on top. > > About the tech stack: > > - The business backend of ApptiveGrid is 100% pharo > - It uses https://github.com/svenvc/zinc components for the HTTP frontend > - and https://github.com/ApptiveGrid/Soil as the persistence solution. > - Each user has its own database (an empty soil database is 24kb on disk, could be made even approx. 5kb). There are over 3100 databases in the system right now > - one pharo image holds multiple soil databases open and provides memory caching for the objects > - routing of requests is done with haproxy connection persistence > - the web frontend is made with Vue.js and a pharo library that we transpile to JS with PharoJS > > If you are interested you can also watch my ESUG videos at https://www.youtube.com/@esugboard. All talks in the last 2 years were about ApptiveGrid > > If you have question, don’t hesitate to ask, I’m happy to answer! > > Norbert >
SG
Sean Glazier
Thu, Dec 14, 2023 10:41 PM

That's really great!

Get Outlook for iOShttps://aka.ms/o0ukef

[...]

That's really great! Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef> ________________________________ From: Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven@stfx.eu> Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2023 8:19:06 AM To: Pharo Development List <pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org> Cc: Pharo users users <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> Subject: [Pharo-dev] Re: [ANN] success story: ApptiveGrid Yes, this is a really nice project, the front end as well. It reminds me a bit of FileMaker, but for the web. I am hoping you have commercial success with ApptiveGrid ! > On 12 Dec 2023, at 13:02, Norbert Hartl <norbert@hartl.name> wrote: > > I wanted to write this for a very long time now…so finally…I’m very proud to announce a new success story: ApptiveGrid > > ApptiveGrid is a SaaS tool to digitalize and automatize business processes. > > On the one hand ApptiveGrid is visual database that enables you to model your database via web frontend. At the same time this model is available via REST API. > > <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.39.29.png> > > On top of the data model a form creator turns your model into a form that you can send e.g. via email to inquire data from other people… > > <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.40.48.png> > > On the other hand ApptiveGrid is a workflow system where you can define your work flow in the web frontend and connect to events. These events are either internal (resulting from a change in your data model) or external where you can use web hooks to kick of work flows. > > <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.44.10.png> > > With the combination of both parts ApptiveGrid is able to solve many of modern digital workflows. It enables to make it for low cost and in almost no time which are two pretty good reasons to use it. If you want to use it just visit: http://www.apptivegrid.de. ApptiveGrid provides a start plan at no cost where most of the functionalities are available. If you have additional needs just write me. For the people in the pharo community I’m sure we can provide a bit more on top. > > About the tech stack: > > - The business backend of ApptiveGrid is 100% pharo > - It uses https://github.com/svenvc/zinc components for the HTTP frontend > - and https://github.com/ApptiveGrid/Soil as the persistence solution. > - Each user has its own database (an empty soil database is 24kb on disk, could be made even approx. 5kb). There are over 3100 databases in the system right now > - one pharo image holds multiple soil databases open and provides memory caching for the objects > - routing of requests is done with haproxy connection persistence > - the web frontend is made with Vue.js and a pharo library that we transpile to JS with PharoJS > > If you are interested you can also watch my ESUG videos at https://www.youtube.com/@esugboard. All talks in the last 2 years were about ApptiveGrid > > If you have question, don’t hesitate to ask, I’m happy to answer! > > Norbert >
TM
Tim Mackinnon
Fri, Dec 15, 2023 9:07 AM

Appreciate the great write up - I’d heard mention of Adaptive Grid but hadn’t realised its full extent - wow! It’s a project to inspire us all.

Tim

On 14 Dec 2023, at 22:42, Sean Glazier <sglazier456@gmail.com> wrote:

 That's really great!

Get Outlook for iOS

Yes, this is a really nice project, the front end as well.

It reminds me a bit of FileMaker, but for the web.

I am hoping you have commercial success with ApptiveGrid !

> On 12 Dec 2023, at 13:02, Norbert Hartl <norbert@hartl.name> wrote:
>
> I wanted to write this for a very long time now…so finally…I’m very proud to announce a new success story: ApptiveGrid
>
> ApptiveGrid is a SaaS tool to digitalize and automatize business processes.
>
> On the one hand ApptiveGrid is visual database that enables you to model your database via web frontend. At the same time this model is available via REST API.
>
> <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.39.29.png>
>
> On top of the data model a form creator turns your model into a form that you can send e.g. via email to inquire data from other people…
>
> <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.40.48.png>
>
> On the other hand ApptiveGrid is a workflow system where you can define your work flow in the web frontend and connect to events. These events are either internal (resulting from a change in your data model) or external where you can use web hooks to kick of work flows.
>
> <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.44.10.png>
>
> With the combination of both parts ApptiveGrid is able to solve many of modern digital workflows. It enables to make it for low cost and in almost no time which are two pretty good reasons to use it. If you want to use it just visit: http://www.apptivegrid.de. ApptiveGrid provides a start plan at no cost where most of the functionalities are available. If you have additional needs just write me. For the people in the pharo community I’m sure we can provide a bit more on top.
>
> About the tech stack:
>
> - The business backend of ApptiveGrid is 100% pharo
> - It uses https://github.com/svenvc/zinc components for the HTTP frontend
> - and https://github.com/ApptiveGrid/Soil as the persistence solution.
> - Each user has its own database (an empty soil database is 24kb on disk, could be made even approx. 5kb). There are over 3100 databases in the system right now
> - one pharo image holds multiple soil databases open and provides memory caching for the objects
> - routing of requests is done with haproxy connection persistence
> - the web frontend is made with Vue.js and a pharo library that we transpile to JS with PharoJS
>
> If you are interested you can also watch my ESUG videos at https://www.youtube.com/@esugboard. All talks in the last 2 years were about ApptiveGrid
>
> If you have question, don’t hesitate to ask, I’m happy to answer!
>
> Norbert

NH
Norbert Hartl
Fri, Dec 29, 2023 5:24 PM

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments.

I wish you, pharo and the community all the best for 2024. In 2024 there will be a soil release that I promised for this year but I didn’t make it.

Norbert

Am 14.12.2023 um 15:19 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe sven@stfx.eu:

[...]

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. I wish you, pharo and the community all the best for 2024. In 2024 there will be a soil release that I promised for this year but I didn’t make it. Norbert > Am 14.12.2023 um 15:19 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven@stfx.eu>: > > Yes, this is a really nice project, the front end as well. > > It reminds me a bit of FileMaker, but for the web. > > I am hoping you have commercial success with ApptiveGrid ! > >> On 12 Dec 2023, at 13:02, Norbert Hartl <norbert@hartl.name> wrote: >> >> I wanted to write this for a very long time now…so finally…I’m very proud to announce a new success story: ApptiveGrid >> >> ApptiveGrid is a SaaS tool to digitalize and automatize business processes. >> >> On the one hand ApptiveGrid is visual database that enables you to model your database via web frontend. At the same time this model is available via REST API. >> >> <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.39.29.png> >> >> On top of the data model a form creator turns your model into a form that you can send e.g. via email to inquire data from other people… >> >> <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.40.48.png> >> >> On the other hand ApptiveGrid is a workflow system where you can define your work flow in the web frontend and connect to events. These events are either internal (resulting from a change in your data model) or external where you can use web hooks to kick of work flows. >> >> <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.44.10.png> >> >> With the combination of both parts ApptiveGrid is able to solve many of modern digital workflows. It enables to make it for low cost and in almost no time which are two pretty good reasons to use it. If you want to use it just visit: http://www.apptivegrid.de. ApptiveGrid provides a start plan at no cost where most of the functionalities are available. If you have additional needs just write me. For the people in the pharo community I’m sure we can provide a bit more on top. >> >> About the tech stack: >> >> - The business backend of ApptiveGrid is 100% pharo >> - It uses https://github.com/svenvc/zinc components for the HTTP frontend >> - and https://github.com/ApptiveGrid/Soil as the persistence solution. >> - Each user has its own database (an empty soil database is 24kb on disk, could be made even approx. 5kb). There are over 3100 databases in the system right now >> - one pharo image holds multiple soil databases open and provides memory caching for the objects >> - routing of requests is done with haproxy connection persistence >> - the web frontend is made with Vue.js and a pharo library that we transpile to JS with PharoJS >> >> If you are interested you can also watch my ESUG videos at https://www.youtube.com/@esugboard. All talks in the last 2 years were about ApptiveGrid >> >> If you have question, don’t hesitate to ask, I’m happy to answer! >> >> Norbert >>
YC
Yanni Chiu
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 4:16 PM

Thanks for all the write ups and presentations. They’ve pointed me at some
new technologies, and confirmed that I’m not the only one thinking along
certain lines. Hopefully I’ll finally get something into production in 2024.

I think Soil is definitely the way forward. Once you’ve stuck a traditional
“database” into your architecture, you can end up working harder to work
around the constraints imposed by the database than was initially saved.
Soil eliminates the “wall” between your code and the database, so you can
get objects all the way down.

Yanni

On Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 12:25 PM Norbert Hartl norbert@hartl.name wrote:

[...]

frontend

disk, could be made even approx. 5kb). There are over 3100 databases in the
system right now

  • one pharo image holds multiple soil databases open and provides

memory caching for the objects

  • routing of requests is done with haproxy connection persistence
  • the web frontend is made with Vue.js and a pharo library that we

transpile to JS with PharoJS

If you are interested you can also watch my ESUG videos at

https://www.youtube.com/@esugboard. All talks in the last 2 years were
about ApptiveGrid

If you have question, don’t hesitate to ask, I’m happy to answer!

Norbert

Thanks for all the write ups and presentations. They’ve pointed me at some new technologies, and confirmed that I’m not the only one thinking along certain lines. Hopefully I’ll finally get something into production in 2024. I think Soil is definitely the way forward. Once you’ve stuck a traditional “database” into your architecture, you can end up working harder to work around the constraints imposed by the database than was initially saved. Soil eliminates the “wall” between your code and the database, so you can get objects all the way down. Yanni On Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 12:25 PM Norbert Hartl <norbert@hartl.name> wrote: > Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. > > I wish you, pharo and the community all the best for 2024. In 2024 there > will be a soil release that I promised for this year but I didn’t make it. > > Norbert > > > Am 14.12.2023 um 15:19 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven@stfx.eu>: > > > > Yes, this is a really nice project, the front end as well. > > > > It reminds me a bit of FileMaker, but for the web. > > > > I am hoping you have commercial success with ApptiveGrid ! > > > >> On 12 Dec 2023, at 13:02, Norbert Hartl <norbert@hartl.name> wrote: > >> > >> I wanted to write this for a very long time now…so finally…I’m very > proud to announce a new success story: ApptiveGrid > >> > >> ApptiveGrid is a SaaS tool to digitalize and automatize business > processes. > >> > >> On the one hand ApptiveGrid is visual database that enables you to > model your database via web frontend. At the same time this model is > available via REST API. > >> > >> <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.39.29.png> > >> > >> On top of the data model a form creator turns your model into a form > that you can send e.g. via email to inquire data from other people… > >> > >> <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.40.48.png> > >> > >> On the other hand ApptiveGrid is a workflow system where you can define > your work flow in the web frontend and connect to events. These events are > either internal (resulting from a change in your data model) or external > where you can use web hooks to kick of work flows. > >> > >> <Bildschirm­foto 2023-12-12 um 12.44.10.png> > >> > >> With the combination of both parts ApptiveGrid is able to solve many of > modern digital workflows. It enables to make it for low cost and in almost > no time which are two pretty good reasons to use it. If you want to use it > just visit: http://www.apptivegrid.de. ApptiveGrid provides a start plan > at no cost where most of the functionalities are available. If you have > additional needs just write me. For the people in the pharo community I’m > sure we can provide a bit more on top. > >> > >> About the tech stack: > >> > >> - The business backend of ApptiveGrid is 100% pharo > >> - It uses https://github.com/svenvc/zinc components for the HTTP > frontend > >> - and https://github.com/ApptiveGrid/Soil as the persistence solution. > >> - Each user has its own database (an empty soil database is 24kb on > disk, could be made even approx. 5kb). There are over 3100 databases in the > system right now > >> - one pharo image holds multiple soil databases open and provides > memory caching for the objects > >> - routing of requests is done with haproxy connection persistence > >> - the web frontend is made with Vue.js and a pharo library that we > transpile to JS with PharoJS > >> > >> If you are interested you can also watch my ESUG videos at > https://www.youtube.com/@esugboard. All talks in the last 2 years were > about ApptiveGrid > >> > >> If you have question, don’t hesitate to ask, I’m happy to answer! > >> > >> Norbert > >> >