pharo9 tools moldability

DO
Danil Osipchuk
Sat, Dec 18, 2021 3:06 PM

Dear all,

Being a long time smalltalk user (meaning I'm crafting tools for my own
usage for domains I'm working with) I always relied upon the environment
itself to interact with models to spare time creating user interfaces.
Besides plain inspectors I used metafacilities where possible --  seaside,
then omnibrowser and lately glamour toolkit in pharo8.

Now it seems the glamourous core is not part of pharo9 anymore. Meanwhile
pharo9 looks increasingly neat and I would like to make a transition but
having tools in pharo8 holds me back.

I would be grateful for any pointers to help me to get started with the
moldable inspectors pharo9 - papers, talks, online discussions, etc. I can
likely figure it out on my own, but having an overall understanding of the
approach concept would save an effort and shorten the trial and error
phase.
(maybe I'm overcomplicating  it and just having browsed around inspector
code pragmas is enough to get started)

regards,
Danil

[...]
SD
stephane ducasse
Sat, Dec 18, 2021 9:06 PM

Hi danil

Have a look at the extension in FileReference for example.
You will see how you can extend the default inspector.

What you should see is that you can use any Spec20 UI within the panes.
So we get the extensibility without the glamour and we gain the uniformity of
using Spec20.

For us the moldability is important. If you have scenario that do not work we will study because
the current version may need some adjustments.
But what I can garantee is that we want to make sure that we can all build our own tools.

Here are the extensions we are using for a new compiler we are building

On 18 Dec 2021, at 16:06, Danil Osipchuk danil.osipchuk@gmail.com wrote:

[...]

Hi danil Have a look at the extension in FileReference for example. You will see how you can extend the default inspector. What you should see is that you can use any Spec20 UI within the panes. So we get the extensibility without the glamour and we gain the uniformity of using Spec20. For us the moldability is important. If you have scenario that do not work we will study because the current version may need some adjustments. But what I can garantee is that we want to make sure that we can all build our own tools. Here are the extensions we are using for a new compiler we are building > On 18 Dec 2021, at 16:06, Danil Osipchuk <danil.osipchuk@gmail.com> wrote: > > Dear all, > > Being a long time smalltalk user (meaning I'm crafting tools for my own usage for domains I'm working with) I always relied upon the environment itself to interact with models to spare time creating user interfaces. Besides plain inspectors I used metafacilities where possible -- seaside, then omnibrowser and lately glamour toolkit in pharo8. > > Now it seems the glamourous core is not part of pharo9 anymore. Meanwhile pharo9 looks increasingly neat and I would like to make a transition but having tools in pharo8 holds me back. > > I would be grateful for any pointers to help me to get started with the moldable inspectors pharo9 - papers, talks, online discussions, etc. I can likely figure it out on my own, but having an overall understanding of the approach concept would save an effort and shorten the trial and error phase. > (maybe I'm overcomplicating it and just having browsed around inspector code pragmas is enough to get started) > > > > regards, > Danil
SJ
Sebastian Jordan Montano
Sun, Dec 19, 2021 5:19 PM

[...]

This may interest you: https://modularmoose.org/2021/05/04/how-to-build-a-new-moose-tool.html > De: "Danil Osipchuk" <danil.osipchuk@gmail.com> > À: "Pharo Development List" <pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org> > Envoyé: Samedi 18 Décembre 2021 15:06:33 > Objet: [Pharo-dev] pharo9 tools moldability > Dear all, > Being a long time smalltalk user (meaning I'm crafting tools for my own usage > for domains I'm working with) I always relied upon the environment itself to > interact with models to spare time creating user interfaces. Besides plain > inspectors I used metafacilities where possible -- seaside, then omnibrowser > and lately glamour toolkit in pharo8. > Now it seems the glamourous core is not part of pharo9 anymore. Meanwhile pharo9 > looks increasingly neat and I would like to make a transition but having tools > in pharo8 holds me back. > I would be grateful for any pointers to help me to get started with the moldable > inspectors pharo9 - papers, talks, online discussions, etc. I can likely figure > it out on my own, but having an overall understanding of the approach concept > would save an effort and shorten the trial and error phase. > (maybe I'm overcomplicating it and just having browsed around inspector code > pragmas is enough to get started) > regards, > Danil
DO
Danil Osipchuk
Sun, Dec 19, 2021 7:35 PM

Stephane, yes the AbstractFileReference extensions is definitely a very
illustrative example.
From a quick glance it all seems to be pretty straightforward.

Also I'd like to use this opportunity to congratulate all who worked hard
to make the Pharo9 release possible.  It is impressive how clean the code
and even UI are now, I would say on par with Dolphin which is a high bar.
Obviously a lot of care went into this. Also the books and infrastructure
around the project - it is amazing.

regards,
Danil

вс, 19 дек. 2021 г. в 00:07, stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse@inria.fr:

[...]

Stephane, yes the AbstractFileReference extensions is definitely a very illustrative example. From a quick glance it all seems to be pretty straightforward. Also I'd like to use this opportunity to congratulate all who worked hard to make the Pharo9 release possible. It is impressive how clean the code and even UI are now, I would say on par with Dolphin which is a high bar. Obviously a lot of care went into this. Also the books and infrastructure around the project - it is amazing. regards, Danil вс, 19 дек. 2021 г. в 00:07, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse@inria.fr>: > Hi danil > > Have a look at the extension in FileReference for example. > You will see how you can extend the default inspector. > > What you should see is that you can use any Spec20 UI within the panes. > So we get the extensibility without the glamour and we gain the uniformity > of > using Spec20. > > For us the moldability is important. If you have scenario that do not work > we will study because > the current version may need some adjustments. > But what I can garantee is that we want to make sure that we can all build > our own tools. > > Here are the extensions we are using for a new compiler we are building > > > On 18 Dec 2021, at 16:06, Danil Osipchuk <danil.osipchuk@gmail.com> wrote: > > Dear all, > > Being a long time smalltalk user (meaning I'm crafting tools for my own > usage for domains I'm working with) I always relied upon the environment > itself to interact with models to spare time creating user interfaces. > Besides plain inspectors I used metafacilities where possible -- seaside, > then omnibrowser and lately glamour toolkit in pharo8. > > Now it seems the glamourous core is not part of pharo9 anymore. Meanwhile > pharo9 looks increasingly neat and I would like to make a transition but > having tools in pharo8 holds me back. > > I would be grateful for any pointers to help me to get started with the > moldable inspectors pharo9 - papers, talks, online discussions, etc. I can > likely figure it out on my own, but having an overall understanding of the > approach concept would save an effort and shorten the trial and error > phase. > (maybe I'm overcomplicating it and just having browsed around inspector > code pragmas is enough to get started) > > > > regards, > Danil > > >
DO
Danil Osipchuk
Sun, Dec 19, 2021 7:37 PM

Sebastian, yes, this is exactly kind of writeups I was asking for -- thanks

regards,
Danil

вс, 19 дек. 2021 г. в 20:19, Sebastian Jordan Montano <
sebastian.jordan@inria.fr>:

[...]

Sebastian, yes, this is exactly kind of writeups I was asking for -- thanks regards, Danil вс, 19 дек. 2021 г. в 20:19, Sebastian Jordan Montano < sebastian.jordan@inria.fr>: > This may interest you: > > https://modularmoose.org/2021/05/04/how-to-build-a-new-moose-tool.html > > ------------------------------ > > *De: *"Danil Osipchuk" <danil.osipchuk@gmail.com> > *À: *"Pharo Development List" <pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org> > *Envoyé: *Samedi 18 Décembre 2021 15:06:33 > *Objet: *[Pharo-dev] pharo9 tools moldability > > Dear all, > > Being a long time smalltalk user (meaning I'm crafting tools for my own > usage for domains I'm working with) I always relied upon the environment > itself to interact with models to spare time creating user interfaces. > Besides plain inspectors I used metafacilities where possible -- seaside, > then omnibrowser and lately glamour toolkit in pharo8. > > Now it seems the glamourous core is not part of pharo9 anymore. Meanwhile > pharo9 looks increasingly neat and I would like to make a transition but > having tools in pharo8 holds me back. > > I would be grateful for any pointers to help me to get started with the > moldable inspectors pharo9 - papers, talks, online discussions, etc. I can > likely figure it out on my own, but having an overall understanding of the > approach concept would save an effort and shorten the trial and error > phase. > (maybe I'm overcomplicating it and just having browsed around inspector > code pragmas is enough to get started) > > > > regards, > Danil > >
EL
Esteban Lorenzano
Mon, Dec 20, 2021 8:38 AM

you have also this :

https://github.com/pharo-spec/smalltodo-example/blob/master/SmallTODO-Tutorial-1.md
Esteban

you have also this : https://github.com/pharo-spec/smalltodo-example/blob/master/SmallTODO-Tutorial-1.md Esteban On Dec 19 2021, at 8:37 pm, Danil Osipchuk <danil.osipchuk@gmail.com> wrote: > Sebastian, yes, this is exactly kind of writeups I was asking for -- thanks > > regards, > Danil > > > > вс, 19 дек. 2021 г. в 20:19, Sebastian Jordan Montano <sebastian.jordan@inria.fr (mailto:sebastian.jordan@inria.fr)>: > > This may interest you: > > > > > > https://modularmoose.org/2021/05/04/how-to-build-a-new-moose-tool.html > > > > > De: "Danil Osipchuk" <danil.osipchuk@gmail.com (mailto:danil.osipchuk@gmail.com)> > > > À: "Pharo Development List" <pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org (mailto:pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org)> > > > Envoyé: Samedi 18 Décembre 2021 15:06:33 > > > Objet: [Pharo-dev] pharo9 tools moldability > > > > > > > Dear all, > > > > > > Being a long time smalltalk user (meaning I'm crafting tools for my own usage for domains I'm working with) I always relied upon the environment itself to interact with models to spare time creating user interfaces. Besides plain inspectors I used metafacilities where possible -- seaside, then omnibrowser and lately glamour toolkit in pharo8. > > > Now it seems the glamourous core is not part of pharo9 anymore. Meanwhile pharo9 looks increasingly neat and I would like to make a transition but having tools in pharo8 holds me back. > > > I would be grateful for any pointers to help me to get started with the moldable inspectors pharo9 - papers, talks, online discussions, etc. I can likely figure it out on my own, but having an overall understanding of the approach concept would save an effort and shorten the trial and error phase. > > > (maybe I'm overcomplicating it and just having browsed around inspector code pragmas is enough to get started) > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > regards, > > > Danil > > > > > > > > > > > > >