[Pharo-users] What is the difference between a form and a morph?

Markus Stumptner mst at cs.unisa.edu.au
Mon Feb 24 22:58:34 EST 2020

Normally, there should not be an inheritance relationship between
wrapper and wrappee, but I agree that describing Morphs as wrappers
around Forms seems to miss the point. The notion of wrapper usually
implies that there is little modification to the protocol of the
wrappee, a wrapper should not need a lot of code. But Morphs are a
completely different level of the architecture, with a large and complex
protocol that's very different from Forms. So let's start again.

Forms are images (implemented as rectangular pixel arrays, as stated).

Morphs are the objects that describe how the graphical interface works,
they control displaying (for which they use Forms), handling of user
input (mouse clicks, dragging etc) and above all the internal structure
of the interface (for example the different regions that make up a
window on the screen are Morphs). Note that the user display side of the
Pharo interface is handled by class DisplayScreen, which is a subclass
of Form.  So the Morphs in the user interface display themselves by
inserting their Forms in the proper places on the Form that is the
internal representation of the screen.

So, as Subbu said, you don't convert Morphs to Forms, they serve
different purposes.  Morphs (some Morphs) have instance variables that
allow them to refer to the Form that they use for displaying.  Hope that
helps a bit.

I note that all of this (plus some more) you can essentially get from
the class comments of the two.

Markus