[Pharo-users] [ANN] Round 3 Results Are In

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Mon Feb 24 01:31:07 EST 2020

Hi Richard,

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 at 18:45, Richard O'Keefe <raoknz at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is meant to be constructive, but won't seem that way at first.

Thanks for your feedback.  I can tell you're being constructive by the
detail you went into.
It must have taken a good ten minutes to compose and in an environment
where
attention is a scarce resource, that is gold.  I'll definitely file it for
my own future reference.

> (1) The sound track very nearly drove me away in the first few seconds.
> I'm deadly serious about that.  I'm not on the spectrum, but my elder
> daughter is, and sensory sensitivities are very common amongst ASD
> people.  I'm rather sensitive to noise myself.  Now if the sound track
> were *relevant* to the message, I'd put up with it, but I can't for the
> life of me see any connection between the sound track banging away
> and what's happening on the screen.

Its easy to forget such considerations when they are outside our immediate
experience.
Thx for the heads up.

> (2) Above all, it was a *missed opportunity*.  Here was the chance to
> add a narration telling us what we are seeing and what it all *means*.
> Something not unlike Code Bullet, maybe?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSW-5m8lRMs

The specifics are quite different.  We don't have access to the teams in
the same way,
but I get your point. Something similar with a different slant should be
possible - if the creative juices flow the right way.

(3) I don't give a tinker's curse for the score.  It's just a number without
> any context.  The scores for *all* the teams might be more interesting.
> The numbers that really matter are TIME, EFFORT, and SIZE.  How
> long did it take each team?  How much code did they end up with?  How
> much were they able to re-use?  How many false starts had to be thrown
> away?

Good points, but being the first time running such a competition, its not
set up to gather that information.
If a chance arose to do it, are there any further questions of interest to
others?

> (4) The other missed opportunity was the chance to show some of the
> Pharo IDE in action.  Click on a cell, bring up the halo, explore the
> data structure, show some code, jump around in it.

Will try to find time to do this later on.

As it is, this clip shows me
>  - unknown code
>  - solving an unfamiliar problem
>  - written by people I know nothing about
>  - using unknown tools
>  - with no evidence that Smalltalk helped in any way.
>
> If I were a Blub programmer, I'd probably ignore this
> completely.  At best, I'd look for the problem specification,
> then say "who cares, I can do that easily in Blub".
>
> If you want to show that Smalltalk is the best thing since
> sliced cheese, you have to show that *Smalltalk* is relevant
> in some way.

Thanks for your constructive critque.
cheers -ben