[Pharo-users] What is the difference between a form and a morph?

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 22:46:15 EST 2020

On 24/02/20 2:00 AM, Steve Quezadas wrote:
> [Morph], from what I understand, deals with manipulating graphics on
> smalltalk. But when I use ZnEasy to get a jpeg file, I notice that it
> returns a [Form] and not a [Morph] to display a jpeg. Spec2 also wants
> [Form] for displaying images rather than [Morph].
>
> So what is the difference between a [Form] and a [Morph] since they both
> seem to deal with graphics?

A Form is a rectangular of pixel. Essentially, a picture. You can create
a Morph around a form with:

   aForm asMorph openInHand.

A Morph is the basic unit of Morphic GUI - a live, direct editor of
objects. An excellent short tutorial about it is at:

http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/freebooks/collectivenbluebook/morphic.final.pdf

HTH .. Subbu