[Pharo-users] "Theming" dictionaries?

Esteban Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 12:15:39 EST 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 2:09 PM Richard Sargent
<richard.sargent at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> If you want to have a limited API, you wrap a dictionary with a new class that exposes just the API you desire consumers to use.
>
> In general, inheritance is often overused or/ misused. Composition is usually a better technique unless you want the full API of the hierarchy to be available and used.

+1 to this.

Inheriting means accepting the "interface contract" of being able to
respond to all the messages understood by its superclasses.
It also limits your model to future refactorings and modifications.

I rarely, if ever, sub-classify any "base" class for domain modelling,
and more so in the case of Collection classes, and when I had to deal
with domain classes that did that, it always caused more problems than
solutions.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo