[Pharo-users] Setting a model for a Spec UI in Pharo 8

Bren asparagi at hhhh.org
Wed Feb 12 17:26:48 EST 2020

Hi fellow Pharo folks,

TL;DR: The only apparent way to open a standalone presenter on a user-specified model, SpPresenter>>on:, has a comment suggesting it will be deprecated.

As a follow-up to my previous question in case someone DuckDuckGoes it in the future, it seems that adding self modelChanged to SpPresenterWithModel>>setAnnouncingObject: breaks the Spec2 demos.  So, I backed my fix out of my image.  This has several implications:

- To actually change an SpPresenterWithModel's model, one must send model: and then modelChanged.  This seems to break encapsulation.
- The Spec2 demos seem to rely on modelChanged not arriving before the UI opens.  This seems fragile, and reduces the utility of using the demos as examples for writing non-demo code.
- Since I can't send modelChanged from model:, I must apparently use SpPresenter>>on: to open a standalone instance of my subclass of SpPresenterWithModel on a model I supply (e.g. (BLFunctionPresenter on: aModel) openWithSpec).  I was avoiding this because unfortunately, the comment foreshadows deprecation but does not explain what to use instead.  I do not understand how a subclass of SpPresenterWithModel can be composable after this deprecation.

So, I have a solution for now, but I am still looking for the supported way to open a standalone presenter on a user-specified model.

Bren