[Pharo-users] The results are in!

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 08:39:48 EST 2020

Hi Ben,

> El 9 feb 2020, a las 21:01, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> escribió:
>
> > This list is for people to *ask* questions about Pharo. Not to diffuse any kind of propaganda (pharo related or not).
>
> This list is not just for asking questions.  There are plenty of [ANN] posts advertising new libraries
> and blogs articles.  Following completion of the competition, the MIT licensed code repository will be announced here.
> Hopefully it may provide an engaging exercise for Pharo teachers to their with their students.

I know, and I don’t mind announcements from time to time.
But announcements are generally marked with [ANN], and are kind of self explanatory.
The mail Richard sent is, and I’m sorry to be harsh, spam.

> > I have the feeling this list has been lately flooded with such off-topic messages.
>
> Unfortunately the original post was quite bare and failed to show how it was Pharo-topical.
> So I can understand how it triggered you.  I hope the additional background info provided here alleviates some of your concern about it.

Maybe. Maybe Richard could work his emails a bit more?

I’ll quote his original email:

> > El 8 feb 2020, a las 19:12, Richard Kenneth Eng <horrido.hobbies at gmail.com <mailto:horrido.hobbies at gmail.com>> escribió:
> >
> > Round 1 — #1 Leading Team: https://youtu.be/QWHeN5WXfBQ <https://youtu.be/QWHeN5WXfBQ>
> >
> > I'm actually quite amazed by their effort. They surpassed my expectations.
> >
> > At the risk of sounding immodest, I think this is a terrific way to promote Smalltalk (Pharo). I think the video is an absolute blast.
> >
> > Richard

I particularly, who hasn’t followed the competition, am completely lost with this email.
With the risk of sounding harsh, again, but trying to give some feedback Richard can work on:
- The subject does not imply it is an announcement, nor what the results are related to or how they got there
- For those that are not following this competition: what is this round 1? Are there many of them? What is this about? are there many teams?
- There is no single link to the competition website, what this is about, whoever contributed to it...
- Clicking on the link gives a video with a title that is as ambiguous as this email :(
- I check the description of the video: what is there in the video? not clear. How will it appear in a youtube search in the future?
   At least it seems there are links to the website...
   Yet, Really? do I have to watch the video before I can know if this is interesting for me or not? :P

Happily these points could be addressed in the future.

> So with this additional perspective, may one post a week be allowed to share the progress of the competition?

Can the posts have better quality? :/

Still, I’d feel more confortable with an alternative, such as using discord.
What about having a dedicated #jmrpc channel on discord where people could ask questions too?

What about twitter? I havent seen this on twitter. Is it there?

Now, I already spent too much on this :)
Time to get back to something productive.

Cheers,
Guille