[Pharo-users] The results are in!

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sun Feb 9 15:01:02 EST 2020

Hi Guille,

Full disclosure, I've spent the past 6 months using my discretionary hobby
time
programming the infrastructure for this competition using Pharo, so my
viewpoint may be biased.

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 at 03:25, Guillermo Polito <guillermopolito at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I’d like to invite you to refrain yourself from posting such off-topic
messages in the future.

> This list is for people to *ask* questions about Pharo. Not to diffuse
any kind of propaganda (pharo related or not).

This list is not just for asking questions.  There are plenty of [ANN]
posts advertising new libraries
and blogs articles.  Following completion of the competition, the MIT
licensed code repository will be announced here.
Hopefully it may provide an engaging exercise for Pharo teachers to their
with their students.

> I have the feeling this list has been lately flooded with such off-topic
messages.

Unfortunately the original post was quite bare and failed to show how it
was Pharo-topical.
So I can understand how it triggered you.  I hope the additional background
info provided here alleviates some of your concern about it.

> I know you don’t agree, but I invite you to read here the **purpose** of
this list, just for respect to people subscribed to it:

The purpose I see there seems fairly generic... "This is the general
mailing list for users of Pharo."

The competition is programmed in Pharo and Pharo is promoted later in the
video with screens like...

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]

But that promotion is not the main thing.  The main thing is simply that
this is-A competition programmed using Pharo,
and as such this list seems reasonable a reasonable place discuss it.
Although the "smalltalk" title of the video is not ideal,
that was the name of the competition when it was originally going to use
VisualWorks, and so it carried over.

A final thing to consider is how welcomed the dozens of competing students
may feel if they are watching this list
and see their Pharo based competition spurned by the community.

So with this additional perspective, may one post a week be allowed to
share the progress of the competition?

cheers -ben

> El 8 feb 2020, a las 19:12, Richard Kenneth Eng <horrido.hobbies at gmail.com>
escribió:

> Round 1 — #1 Leading Team: https://youtu.be/QWHeN5WXfBQ
>
> I'm actually quite amazed by their effort. They surpassed my expectations.
>
> At the risk of sounding immodest, I think this is a terrific way to
promote Smalltalk (Pharo). I think the video is an absolute blast.