[Pharo-users] Large Image Generator

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 06:16:52 EST 2020

Pablo,

Here's my quick list of ideas to generate gigantic images...

The easiest way to fill the image quickly is to load huge packages that
can also generate tons of data. The firsts that come to mind are Moose,
Roassal, Seaside, BioSmalltalk, PolyMath, Marea, Magma (not sure if it
is still supported though) and Dr. Geo. Another possibility is to use
tools that can import tons of data into the image : there are tons of
stress-test-gicantic XML schemas out there that we could load/read with
one of our XML readers out there.

Another good candidate to torture the GC would be the FHCP challenge:
they had to solved gigantic graphs and, luckily for us, the winners in
2016 were from Inria so someone there must have the data to load those
graphs (and perhaps the algorithms!). DeepTraverser could probably do
the job here.

Other obvious tests involve pushing the language/VM to its limits : how
does Pharo react if we flood the image with 4 million symbols??? Or
create a hierarchy of 30000 classes? Or have a package with 2000 tags?
Is there any limit to the size of a methods (say, we create a method
with 5000 literals)? Or create a gazillion classes, each with the
maximum number of instance variables possible? What if we create a class
that has a reference to every class in the image and see how the
dependency checker copes with that?

Also, there's a lot of objects that are treated "specially" in the
image.?? How does the VM/GC reacts when there's a gazillion of them?
Semaphores, blocks, symbols, points, processes, weak objects, etc.

We could also generate a humongous graph/collection/whatever that could
be loaded fast with Fuel instead of having to create those objects from
scratch every time.

P.S. I have found quite a few discussions on the Squeak & Pharo mailing
lists regarding problems with large images and I've collected the
references to those threads. I'd be more than happy to share those with
you in private if you're interested! I've also found lots of references
to GC benchmarks/torture-tests used by other languages with GC and I
think lots of them could also apply to our memory model...

--
Beno??t St-Jean