[Pharo-users] About "it's not pharo but smalltalk"

Pavel Krivanek pavel.krivanek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 16:20:53 EST 2020

st 5. 2. 2020 v 20:42 odesílatel horrido <horrido.hobbies at gmail.com> napsal:

> > It is your initiative, you should know, nobody asked you to do it
>
> Well, that's a peculiar attitude. There are many, many programming language
> evangelists and I don't think anybody "asked" them to do it. They do it for
> the love of the language.
>
> I hear what you're saying, and I understand fully. I just don't agree with
> it entirely.
>
> I think it's short-sighted. Smalltalk has long been criticized for being a
> secluded island, and now you want to do the same for Pharo? Even as I try
> build bridges to the island?
>
> You could ban everybody from this forum who aren't focussed 100% on Pharo
> and you'd have a much smaller community. You could ban everybody who is a
> Smalltalker. The result is a much more tightly focussed forum, clean and
> free from distractions. Fine. But what is the long-term cost?
>
> Smalltalk evangelism would come to an end. Why? Because frankly nobody is
> interested in the other Smalltalks. Pharo is where all the action is.
>
> And without Smalltalk evangelism, I don't see a path for Pharo becoming
> more
> than a niche language. Pharo doesn't show up an *any* language popularity
> index. At least Clojure, Erlang/Elixir, and Haskell are in the top 30 in
> several places.
>
> At Indeed, there are 18 job postings in the United States that mention
> Smalltalk, and none for Pharo. Even Clojure has 404, Erlang has 274, and
> Haskell has 519, pathetic though these numbers are.
>
> Yes, I also understand that there are many Pharoers who don't care about
> remaining niche. That's a tragedy.
>
> I would rather not have wasted the last five years of my life.

Sorry to say that but you wasted the last five years of your life. Google
trends for Smalltalk:

[image: chrome_JbORSPVuGv.png]

Smalltalk is dead. Dead and no-one can change it. It is an interesting
historical curiosity. You are trying to sell a dead horse.
And yes, Pharo is an irrelevant niche language and it is very unlikely that
it will change in future. It definitely will not change If it will be
promoted the way you do that.

-- Pavel