[Pharo-users] About "it's not pharo but smalltalk"

Esteban Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 15:03:54 EST 2020

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 4:48 PM horrido <horrido.hobbies at gmail.com> wrote:

> I learned a long time ago that you can't please everybody. I've heard the
> critics about my evangelism. I've also heard the praise.
>
> So what am I supposed to do? Listen to the critics and ignore the fans?

tr;dr answer: know who you listen to.

But if you've been for a while (it is, years) here in this tiny tribe
(in global scale) that is the Smalltalk community, you'd pay attention
to the critics from many whose feedback can be treated as wisdom.

In particular when you're promoting something that you might have
mastered in the past, but given your recent questions in the list, you
don't today.

Smalltalk as a concept lacks a good PR these days, so does Pharo as a
product (although non-commercial), but Pharo has been successful in
growing organically and create some kind of grassroots, albeit slow.

And in technical environments bad PR is counterproductive and if you
push too hard it usually fires back.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo