[Pharo-users] About "it's not pharo but smalltalk"

Pavel Krivanek pavel.krivanek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 13:51:36 EST 2020

st 5. 2. 2020 v 19:02 odesílatel horrido <horrido.hobbies at gmail.com> napsal:

> > You want to take the Smalltalk heritage as a definition, that’s ok. We
> don’t, and that’s ok too. Is about what we want to do.
>
> Who's "we"?
>
> Last time I checked, nobody owns Pharo. Pharo is not a bunch of core
> developers; it's a community. And I believe there are many Pharoers who
> share my view.
>
> Since I'm a Smalltalk evangelist and not a Pharo evangelist, I guess I
> shouldn't ever mention Pharo in my blog. After all, if it's not Smalltalk,
> why should I promote it???

Pharo 8.0 release Reddit discussion included some feedback you
may appreciate:

"Thanks. Does this Pharo release removes feature "Richard Kenneth Eng"?
That was the only feature in detriment to such an excellent environment as
Pharo."

"I really like the idea of pharo's features and smalltalk is quite
interesting, but I can't help but be put off by the insanely stupid
marketing culture around it. Most articles about it exaggerate way too much
and seem like they're written by people who were paid to write about it. Or
maybe I'm reading Medium-cancer too much."