[Pharo-users] About "it's not pharo but smalltalk"

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Wed Feb 5 13:26:07 EST 2020

> Am 05.02.2020 um 19:02 schrieb horrido <horrido.hobbies at gmail.com>:
>

>> You want to take the Smalltalk heritage as a definition, that’s ok. We
> don’t, and that’s ok too. Is about what we want to do.
>
> Who's "we"?

As you have obviously trouble reading our web site for instructions like bug reporting or other things I copy the footer for you.
„ Pharo is developed by an international community of open-source developers, coordinated and maintained by the pharo consortium and receives essential support from Inria, RMOD, CNRS, UDL, Cristal and many others.“

So we are a lot of core developers, Inria staff, consortium members and pharo board although I‘m not speaking on their behalf.

> Last time I checked, nobody owns Pharo. Pharo is not a bunch of core
> developers; it's a community. And I believe there are many Pharoers who
> share my view.

Where did you check?

> Since I'm a Smalltalk evangelist and not a Pharo evangelist, I guess I
> shouldn't ever mention Pharo in my blog. After all, if it's not Smalltalk,
> why should I promote it???

It is your initiative, you should know, nobody asked you to do it

> In fact, this is disastrous for my JRMPC competition since it's based
> entirely on Pharo. I'm promoting Smalltalk but pushing Pharo on all the
> participating teams??? What the f*ck am I doing?!!

I just know that you are reluctant for a very long time to hear what we are saying. The rest is yours

Norbert