[Pharo-users] About "it's not pharo but smalltalk"

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Wed Feb 5 12:38:01 EST 2020

Hi Steve,

> On 5 Feb 2020, at 18:21, Steve Davies <steve at connection-telecom.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 at 19:08, Cédrick Béler <cdrick65 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Thanks.
>
> My problem is I'm a newbie.  I thought Pharo was a Smalltalk,  containing code going back to ST80.  I don't know where Pharo stops and Smalltalk starts, so its not easy for me to tell if my question is a Pharo question of a Smalltalk one.
>
> Where are the better places for a Smalltalk (Pharo?) newbie to ask questions and follow along to deepen my understanding?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

As long as you ask questions about Pharo, this is the place.

It does not matter that you would use the term Smalltalk when doing so or when learning.

This is not the place to talk about fishing, time travel, different shades of blue, ...

The context should always be Pharo, it is very simple.

Sven

BTW: 'Smalltalk' is a concept, not a single concrete language, and certainly not a single implementation.