[Pharo-users] FFI beginner question

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 07:59:55 EDT 2019

Just more detail into it:

 - the source code of the booklet, written in Pillar, resides in here:
   https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-uFFI <https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-uFFI>

 - I’ve been in the last weeks doing a pass on it (see branch version2 https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-uFFI/tree/version2 <https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-uFFI/tree/version2>)
   I started adding examples, and enhancing the explanations.
   I got particularly blocked when explaining marshalling where I saw several issues to address / features to add before continuing documenting

I have some issues written down to fix in FFI soon:
  1 - unify vocabulary: module and library in the API (see #ffiCall:module: #macModuleName #ffiLibraryName, #ffiLibrary…)
  2 - some of the names above are misleading (#ffiLibraryName returning a library object and not a name for example)
  3 - extend literal object support to floats
  4 - add a strict (but safe) mode where types for literals are mandatory (otherwise marshalling can go wrong :))

I’ll create issues for these in the next hours ^^.

> El 23 sept 2019, a las 13:38, Richard O'Keefe <raoknz at gmail.com> escribió:
>
> how do I
> connect C numeric
> types introduced by the library to FFI?

Hi Richard, what do you mean? Do you have an example? What’s the signature of your C function look like?

Guille