[Pharo-users] uFFI ExternalAddress challenges

Tomaž Turk tomaz.turk at ef.uni-lj.si
Wed Sep 11 05:07:01 EDT 2019

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. I found the culprint while writing this
email :-)

Generally, what I'm trying to do is to make a very basic package to
create and communicate with COM components on Windows, mostly as an
exercise :-) I found this library: http://disphelper.sourceforge.net/ as
a great start, so you don't have to fiddle with OLE/COM headaches.

The problematic function in C is defined as:

__declspec(dllexport) void CallMethod(void* myObj) {
}

It takes a pointer to a COM object, which was previously returned by

__declspec(dllexport) void* CreateObject(char* szProgId) {
    IDispatch * myObj = NULL
    return &myObj;
}

So, CreateObject() creates COM object and returns a pointer to it,
CallMethod() takes this pointer and tries to communicate with it.

My error was in returning a pointer to a pointer ... since IDispatch *
myObj = NULL was actually hidden in a macro and I missed its true
definition, huh.

I'm running Pharo from PharoLauncher directly on Win10, without
cygwin/mingw. For DLL I use Visual Studio 2019. I was not sure whether
the pointer survives from one FFI call to another, or how Pharo
loads/unloads DLLs - but it works as expected.

Thanks again and best wishes,
Tomaz