[Pharo-users] Connection Timed Out

horrido horrido.hobbies at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 19:11:03 EDT 2019

Since JRMPC opens for registration in three days, I can't afford to screw
around with the web server at this late date. Had I known about this issue
earlier in the year (say, May or June), I could've dealt with it then.

All I'm looking for is a workaround, a duct tape solution.

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> On 1 Sep 2019, at 23:06, horrido <

> horrido.hobbies@

> > wrote:
>>
>> This didn't fix the issue. It's not a matter of adjusting timeout values.
>>
>> However, I believe I've resolved the matter, more or less. You see, I
>> think
>> the problem is with Gmail...
>>
>> My Teapot application is using
>> ZdcSecureSMTPClient>>sendUsingGmailAccount:password:to:message:. For
>> whatever reason, Gmail is taking to long to respond.
>>
>> In the main thread, timeout causes the network to report a timeout error
>> the web browser. It seems that the Pharo application cannot capture this.
>
> Of course you can deal with it, if you want to.
>
> An HTTP server handling a request should do so fairly quickly, else
> clients will become unhappy. The client might automatically give up and
> close the connection.
>
> Doing a (possibly) long running operation while handling a request is,
> like you noticed yourself, dangerous.
>
> A Zn HTTP Server (like the one used by Teapot) can operate in 2 modes: in
> debug mode and in production mode. In debug mode an unexpected error while
> handling a request will result in a debugger. In production mode, that
> same exception will result in an HTTP 500 Server error with the exception
> printString. Production mode is the default.
>
>> But if I fork a process to do the sendUsingGmailAccount function, Pharo
>> does
>> capture this...a debug window opens with the timeout error message. The
>> debug window tells me that it's timing out on waiting for data on the
>> socket.
>>
>> Fortunately, the debug window does not prevent the Pharo application from
>> continuing normally. So I can live with this.
>>
>> The alternative is to NOT use Gmail as a SMTP relay and *manually* send
>> emails to my recipients. However, this would be extremely tedious and
>> error-prone.
>>
>> I'll play it by ear. If the timeouts and debug windows prove to be
>> problematic, I can fall back on manual emailing. Such is life in the
>> world
>> of networking.
>>

>> horrido wrote
>>> I did a bit of research on the web and I discovered that nginx can be
>>> unreliable due to default or inappropriate settings for certain timeout
>>> values. Currently, I'm testing a possible fix: set /keepalive_timeout/
>>> 90, rather than the default 65. So far, it seems to work, but I need
>>> further