[Pharo-dev] Bug 18632 : Virtual Machine parameters need to be documented

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 21:34:30 EST 2020

Eliot,

I was referring to VM parameters (aka #vmParameterPut:at:).  But now
that you mention it, it adds another level of complexity. When you
specify something in the command line arguments, how do you resolve the
fact that the command line argument tells you something that is
different from what is in the image? The mechanics of the VM stuff is
like black magic to most of us! You see, that's the type of question
that is kinda "oral tradition" : if no one ever told you, you don't know
since it's not obvious and rarely documented properly but, eh, it's
written "somewhere" in the code of the VM! It might seem obvious to a
very few of you, especially yourself, since you've been working on the
VM long before my Vassili-Bykov-Days but for most of us, it's a case of
very-interesting-to-read-but-way-too-complex ! ;)

To make a long story short, I was thinking about experimenting and
trying to implement "stuff" with something similar to VisualWorks's
MemoryPolicy (AbstractMemoryPolicy and subclasses to be more precise)
for Pharo. It did save my/our/TheProjects' ass quite a few times. Yes,
you can write scripts to customize a few things before you produce the
"final" image but it is a pain in the as_ (the polite SQL way of
describing it) and you have to keep track of artifacts (scripts, files,
workspace code, whatever) to produce the final image.  With custom
memory policies, everything resides in the image and it is sooooooooooo
much simpler to deal with!

There is no such thing as a one-configuration-fits-all.  That's why
different types of applications have different needs for GC, memory,
tenuring, memory-space sizes, etc. And quite frankly, VW' MemoryPolicy
is so far and by far the best solution I've seen to cope with that.
There ain't such thing as 2 identical applications that have the exact
same VM/GC/memory needs!

I was able to build/read a "collection" of articles/posts/PDFs about GC
and the VM but, quite honestly, I kinda lost track of what is what and
which is which.  Cog, Spur, stack or not, NewSpeak vs Squeak vs Pharo,
32 vs 64 bits, jitted or not, and all permutations you can think of, for
99.9% of us it is like trying to learn Mandarin in 2 days! I do/did read
your blog as well as the blog of Clément Béra as well as Andres Valloud
posts/papers on the subject but in the VM world, things quickly get
complicated unless, like Obélix, you were born in it! I've read a
gazillion papers on the GC and various Smalltalk memory models written
by John McIntosh but are those papers/posts/articles still relevant?

In other words Eliot (and your VM wizard friends), the VM (aka GC and
memory model) do need some "documentation love" for "the average
Smalltalker" !  ;)

--