[Pharo-dev] BlueInk removal

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 19:13:57 EST 2019

Stéphane,

You could have said the exact same thing in nicer words, calmly WITHOUT
SHOUTING and taking it personal.

If people criticize stuff/work/code, it's because 1) they care about
Pharo 2) they use Pharo. The day no one will complain on the list will
mean Pharo's dead.

It also means people have to deal with real projects and real apps and
real customers and real migration problems. We have a tool called
deprecation, let's use it. It'll save a lot of headaches to everyone.
And if you remove stuff, give the developers an extra chance by at least
informing them of the upcoming changes/removals by deprecating stuff,
not just removing it without warning!

I don't recall one single instance in my professional life when
VisualWorks or VisualAge Smalltalk didn't provide EVERYTHING that was
necessary to be compatible with the previous version to facilitate the
job of their customers, us, the developers. Whether it was in the form
of deprecated parcels or packages, Cincom & IBM (and now Instantiations)
understood one thing : you don't migrate apps that generate millions a
year like a tic-tac-toe project on GitHub. It takes time just to migrate
from one version to the next, imagine the nightmare when "stuff had just
been removed" out of the blue. If you want to see more commercial use of
Pharo, you'll have to understand that!

In the meantime, could you PLEASE stop taking criticism as if it was
directed towards you and/or the Pharo devs?

--
Benoît St-Jean