[Pharo-dev] BlueInk removal

Cyril Ferlicot cyril.ferlicot at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 09:43:30 EST 2019

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 2:17 PM Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at stfx.eu> wrote:

> Yes, this could have been handled much better, I guess (I don't know the details).
>
> But for day to day work, you have to use Pharo 7, which should be 100% stable, while Pharo 8 is a moving target, an alpha version that is sometimes broken.

Hi,

I agree that the alpha version does not have to be stable all the
time, but I still don't think it justify to not deprecate things.

When you are working on stable version only, it is still better to be
able to migrate your projects from one version to the other via the
deprecation than to have everything broken and not loadable.

If you can't even load your code, it's much harder to fix it. So I
still think that we should go via deprecations. It has really a low
cost and make migrations so much easier. Especially it give us time
instead of giving us an ultimatum "You want to change of version? Then
you need to fix everything now".

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr