[Pharo-dev] BlueInk removal

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Tue Nov 26 14:17:10 EST 2019

I guess most Pharo developers and user care more on RELIABILITY, STABILITY and REPRODUCABILITY.

Unfortunately there was

- no initial discussion on the mailinglist
- no description what "Enlumineur" is or where to find it (had to google it and link issue to your repo)
- PR was not reviewed nor commented from a second side although removal or switch to basic formatter is a more radical change
- an integrator is merging his own PR, no additional look from a second side
- all this from one day to the other
- ending up in an image broken settings and a basic formatter (who is buggy and eating the comments when used)
  which will also affect future contributions

We for sure all agree on the "WHY" and value that you take action to care on the topic. But you have to
admit the "HOW" puts a guestion mark on the way the contribution/integration process works.

We have broken settings now - which was clear when we just remove. This will also not be solved automagically
when we are past alpha stage. Especially when proper deprecation would have been a single method in the package
manifest, see [1].

Some community members had to repair local settings now and also this discussion pulls time (we all could
have better invested). If the plate is full we will not empty it out by leaving our paths ...

Thx
T.

[1] http://forum.world.st/Deprecation-guide-for-methods-classes-and-packages-td5085081.html