[Pharo-dev] DrTest - strange UI effect and some feedback

Julien Delplanque julien.delplanque at inria.fr
Fri Nov 22 03:28:37 EST 2019

Hello Torsten,

First of all, thanks for your feedback.

Le 22/11/19 à 09:15, Torsten Bergmann a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> DrTest is integrated into Pharo 8 now - but there seems to be a strange bug
> in overlapping widgets when one uses the grouping selection box.
>
> See attached screenshot.
>
> I opened an issue for that: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/5205
> for Pharo. Dont know if that is known bug or even already fixed in the original repo
> of DrTest. Would be good if the authors (Julien or Dayne) could check.
I am not sure what causes this bug, I will need to check with Spec2
developers because I think as Spec2 users we do not have control on such
behaviour of the droplist.

> Additional feedback:
>
> It's really a nice tool - but I see myself still switching back to old TestRunner again.
> Two reasons:
>
> 1. Compared to the regular TestRunner where one is able to see the failing tests
>     directly in DrTest one always has to have additional clicks in the
>     grouping tree on the left before getting the final results.
>
>     So the default grouping of the results as a tree could be disturbing because it
>     requires more clicking around.
>
>     Would be a nice addition if there would be an additional "no grouping" mode as well
>     so the results are just shown in a list like in reglar TestRunner.

I agree with you, an additional iteration needs to be done on the
grouping feature.
We will take your feedback into account.

> 2. The old TestRunner had (after filtering the package) an additional useful context menu
>     with "Select all" and "Select none", "Select inversion", .... which allowed
>     easier focusing on the test classes I want to check.
>     Would be nice if a similar one could be added.

For "Select all" it is possible to do it via Cmd+A or Ctrl+A, as it is
the standard for list selection in UI frameworks.

For the "Select none" I am not sure that we want to support that action
because it feels a bit odd. Why would one want to have nothing selected?
But if one can justify why this is needed, we can add it of course.

"Select inversion" could be added but again I think this is a bit odd
feature.

Now you have to know that DrTests is a side project for me and for right
now I can not allocate that much time on it.
So I will do my best to fix urgent issues ASAP. I already have a great
list of issues since the integration (which is normal). :-)

However, until next friday, I am in a rush for another deadline.

Julien