[Pharo-dev] AbstractEnvironmentTestCase

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Tue Nov 19 06:51:51 EST 2019

> On 19 Nov 2019, at 12:27, ducasse <stepharo at netcourrier.com> wrote:
>

>> On 19 Nov 2019, at 11:57, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at stfx.eu> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> AbstractEnvironmentTestCase exists only in Pharo 8, tracking this with STON (from changes in Pharo 8) gives me tests that can no longer be loaded in Pharo 7 (or versions before that).
>>
>> At least AbstractEnvironmentTestCase should be back ported to Pharo 7.
>>
>> Apart from that, I don't think this is a good change (since it breaks backwards compatibility
>> too much).
>
> I do not agree.

Well, external code cannot write tests that confirms to the requirements of both versions.

>> Why do all Smalltalk>>#at: references have to be removed ? The way I see it, Smalltalk>>#at: could be rewritten to dynamically use a different environment, if that is set up earlier, using a DynamicVariable. Similarly, #asClass could be implemented to follow the same path.
>
> Because if one day we want to have modules and environment better to have a system that does not point to
> global variables.
> We should not refer to global variables.

But eventually, the reference has to be resolved and it has a name.

I am familiar with packages in common lisp, is it like that ?

Is there a document that describes these issues more clearly ? The plan going forward ?