[Pharo-dev] Better management of encoding of environment variables

Stephan Eggermont stephan at stack.nl
Wed Jan 16 04:44:10 EST 2019

Nicolas Cellier
> IMO, windows VM (and plugins) should do the UCS2 -> UTF8 conversion because
> the purpose of a VM is to provide an OS independant façade.
> I made progress recently in this area, but we should finish the
> job/test/consolidate.
> If someone bypass the VM and use direct windows API thru FFI, then he takes
> the responsibility, but uniformity doesn't hurt.

That sounds like a very good idea. Do you suggest to do that after the
Pharo 7 release? Or is it simple enough that it can be done in time? On the
unix side, do I need the explicit encoding or can I ask the OSEnvironment
for the one I need?

Before the Pharo 7 release we need at least a #getEnv: back and a class
comment corresponding to what is expected. If we want to change to the new
API it needs to be deprecated.

Stephan