[Pharo-dev] DebugSession>>activePC:

Thomas Dupriez tdupriez at ens-paris-saclay.fr
Fri Jan 11 09:49:23 EST 2019

Hi,

Yes, my question was just of the form: "Hey there's this method in
DebugSession. What is it doing? What's the intention behind it? Does
someone know?". There was no hidden agenda behind it.

@Eliot

After taking another look at this method, there's something I don't
understand:

activePC: aContext
^ (self isLatestContext: aContext)
         ifTrue: [ interruptedContext pc ]
         ifFalse: [ self previousPC: aContext ]

isLatestContext: checks whether its argument is the suspended context
(the context at the top of the stack of the interrupted process). And if
that's true, activePC: returns the pc of **interruptedContext**, not of
the suspended context. These two contexts are different when the
debugger opens on an exception, so this method is potentially returning
a pc for another context than its argument...

Another question I have to improve the comment for this method is:
what's the high-level meaning of this concept of "activePC". You gave
the formal definition, but what's the point of defining this so to
speak? What makes this concept interesting enough to warrant defining it
and giving it a name?

Cheers,
Thomas