[Pharo-dev] [Issue 19852] Cached settings and moving images

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 06:19:56 EST 2019

Hi all,

I was checking issue https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19852 which is about
the problems that arise when we move an image of location, and moreover
when we move it between different platforms (windows to linux or mac for
example).

The problem are dangling file references pointing to invalid locations.

We have found 4 of them:

   - SystemResolver localdirectory is cached in a class variable
   - GTPlaybook caches the cache and stash directories in class variables
   - OMSessionStore retrieves at some point during startup an invalid file
   reference from the (wrongly cached) local directory
   - IceLibgitRepository Sharedrepositorieslocation is also cached

All these are actually caused by settings, whose behavior is not defined
when an image is moved.
There are several strange issues like, if we store settings, the local
directory is stored, and then all images will (wrongly) use the same
pharo-local directory of the first image. This is particularly annoying
when using the launcher for example :).

Now, we can leave this as it is right now and just move it to pharo8.
A quick fix for Pharo7 would be removing those settings and avoiding
caching, but that is probably very disruptive too...

Opinions?

Guille