[Pharo-dev] libssh2 1.7.0 & 1.8.0

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 04:12:11 EST 2019

Hi Guille,

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 09:54, Guillermo Polito <guillermopolito at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alistair,
>
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 9:25 AM Alistair Grant <akgrant0710 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Esteban,
>>
>> The VM is currently being built with libssh2 1.7.0, but this doesn't
>> build on ARM v6 (Raspberry Pi) due to changes in openssl.
>>
>> libssh2 1.8.0, which was released in October 2016, builds and appears
>> to function correctly (the VM crashes when attempting to commit from
>> within Iceberg, but I think this is an unrelated problem).
>

> May I ask if you mean commit or push?

I meant commit.  I guess that it is doing a comparison of the image to
the git repository to determine what has changed (to present the
dialog saying which methods have changed).  It's a call to free() that
actually causes the problem.

> Because commiting should not incure into any network activity and thus the ssl is never used.

Which is why I thought it is unrelated :-)

> I don't know about the satus of libssl and libgit, but it is certain that libgit uses libssl, so we have to be careful that the versions of libgit and libssl are compatible.

I cloned the pharo repository as a basic check that they are working
together (plus the testing on Ubuntu).

>> I've built and done some ad-hoc testing of libssh2 1.8.0 on linux 64
>> bit (Ubuntu 16.04) and haven't had any issues.
>>
>> What do you think of upgrading from libssh2 1.7.0 to 1.8.0?
>>
>> I don't know how close Pharo 7.0 is to release
>

> Super close :)

:-)

Cheers,
Alistair