[Pharo-dev] Catalog Entries

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 02:50:55 EST 2018

Hi Sven,

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 12:55, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at stfx.eu> wrote:

> I know about master and what it means, but that is not exactly what I want.
>
> When you release, that is a deliberate action: you put a stamp on the current project timeline, declaring it as ready/stable enough for people to depend on.
>
> The master branch can further evolve after a (latest) release. It is the next release candidate.
>
> I would like to depend on whatever released version is the latest. See the URLs in my previous email.

I think your understanding of master is different from mine.  master
should never be the next release candidate, it is only ever the latest
GA code.

In that case, you can use master to mean "the latest GA version".

If you want release candidates, they should be branches off
development (or tags).

If you want to support multiple versions, e.g. be able to release a
4.1 after 5.0 has been released, then each version should be branched
off master (at the GA commit for that version).

If you want to know where a named GA version is (and there won't be
further updates), it is a tag on the master branch.

Cheers,
Alistair