[Pharo-dev] Pharo image don't restart

Trussardi Dario Romano dario.trussardi at tiscali.it
Thu Dec 13 11:31:17 EST 2018

Ciao,

> Hi,
>
> The problem seems to come from: "no room in eden for allocateSmallNewSpaceSlots:format:classIndex:"
> Eden is a part of the heap where new objects are allocated.
> Basically, it appears that Pharo cannot create objects any more.
> You can get information about gc and eden space here: https://clementbera.wordpress.com/2017/03/12/tuning-the-pharo-garbage-collector/
>
> Could you try to run your image in headless mode to see if it starts?
> ex:
>
> I would try to start your image with a bigger size for the eden.
> Clément recommends to do: Smalltalk vm parameterAt: 45 put: (Smalltalk vm parameterAt: 44) * 4.
> but it means you need an image that is started …
>
> You can also set it as an argument to the VM: --eden <size>[mk]
>
> You could try with —eden 15207744 for example:
> ~/Documents/Pharo/vms/70-x64/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo --eden 15207744 ~/Documents/Pharo/images/Pharo\ 7.0\ -\ 64bit\ \(development\ version\)/Pharo\ 7.0\ -\ 64bit\ \(development\ version\).image

After copy the pharoLauncher entry with the error	 into Pharo7.0-64DTRDevErr entry

i do this:

/opt/pharolauncher/pharo-vm$ ./pharo --eden 15207744 /home/party/Pharo/images/Pharo7.0-64DTRDevErr/Pharo7.0-64DTRDevErr.image

the shell report:

pthread_setschedparam failed: Operation not permitted

*****	 This VM uses a separate heartbeat thread to update its internal clock
and handle events.  For best operation, this thread should run at a
higher priority, however the VM was unable to change the priority.  The
effect is that heavily loaded systems may experience some latency
issues.  If this occurs, please create the appropriate configuration
file in /etc/security/limits.d/ as shown below:

cat <<END | sudo tee /etc/security/limits.d/pharo.conf
*      hard    rtprio  2
*      soft    rtprio  2
END

and report to the pharo mailing list whether this improves behaviour.

You will need to log out and log back in for the limits to take effect.
For more information please see
...........r3732#linux
Errore di segmentazione (core dump creato)

Any idea  about it?

The ***** message required some action ?

I need to configure some operating system value ?

Thanks,

	Dario

P.S. I have to conclude that there is no solution?