[Pharo-dev] Playground "remote publish" feedback from discord

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Sat Dec 8 11:55:25 EST 2018

Ben,

> On 8 Dec 2018, at 17:19, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
>
> On discord a user provided some feedback...
>
> when you post anything to ws.stfx.eu - e.g. here: http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY - the page says that I should use "ZnWorkspace openUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY'." to retrieve it. However, there is no class called "ZnWorkspace" in Pharo 6.1 so this should probably be updated.
>
> "Remote publish" button is located fairly prominently in the top right corner of Pharo Playground window so Pharo beginners will probably see it fairly soon after they start experimenting and try clicking on it. The text should be updated so the instructions actually work.
>
> Also the footer of the page says copyright is 2013, and it would look better to newcomers if the copyright date was more recent.
>
> ----------
> cheers -ben

The 'Shared Smalltalk Workspaces' [http://ws.stfx.eu] service is indeed old (but has been working unattended for years). It was later hijacked (in a good way) by the Playground. It should indeed be upgraded a bit, I'll look into it but can't promise anything.

Do note that you can paste a SSW URL like http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY into Spotter to open it in a new Playground. A cool, but hidden feature. So technically there is no need for more.

You can also access a page with the following expression:

ZnClient new
  systemPolicy;
  beOneShot;
  accept: ZnMimeType textPlain;
  url: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY';
  get.

Maybe an additional menu item somewhere ?

Sven