[Pharo-dev] Baseline/Configuration loading bars

Jan Blizničenko bliznjan at fit.cvut.cz
Tue Oct 31 16:42:07 EDT 2017

Hello

I have never paid any attention to following thing, but now I use Pharo to
teach students object oriented programming and there is one thing that I
realized how very bad is from user experience perspective: When I am loading
package with lots of dependencies, like Moose or Seaside, it may take
multiple minutes (especially on Windows) and those loading bars are there
half of a time, but half of a time there is nothing, just nothing - it looks
like finished, but it is in fact still loading and everything is therefore
sluggish. If I was not sure it is in actually still loading just fine, I
would try to kill the process and try again. Example which causes such

Gofer it
    smalltalkhubUser: 'zeroflag' project: 'Teapot';
    configuration;
    loadStable.
Metacello new
    repository:
'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
    configuration: 'Seaside3';
    version: #'release3.2';
    load: #('OneClick').

It would be nice to have some loading bar or something like "loading
packages, please wait..." there at all times until baseline/configuration
"ConfigurationOfSeaside3 loaded successfully" would be nice