[Pharo-dev] Preferences location on linux and windows?

Clément Bera bera.clement at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 03:39:42 EDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 9:27 PM, Stephane Ducasse <stepharo.self at gmail.com>
wrote:

> tx!
> I would have never guessed it.

That's normal, nobody would have guessed it because it's not a guess.
Instead of guessing, one can just use any of the Pharo search engine which
allow to find anything in Pharo in a couple seconds.

Using GTSpotter, typing 'Preferences' immediately shows as the first result
the general and version preference folders, with location and contents.

Using the class search feature of Nautilus [1], entering 'Preferences'
shows only a couple classes, including StartupPreferencesLoader, which by
name explicitly says this is responsible for loading the startup
preferences. Looking at its comment we see:

Print the result of "StartupPreferencesLoader preferencesGeneralFolder"
which holds the startup scripts common to all versions of Pharo.
Print the result of "StartupPreferencesLoader preferencesVersionFolder"
which holds the startup scripts specific to the version of the current
image.

As Nicolas said, the address of the folder is different based on the OS
version, OS settings, OS updates, the user rights of the person who started
Pharo... That's why in StartupPreferencesLoader the way to find the path is
documented and not the path itself.

 [1] Open Nautilus, right click in the left column and select 'Find
class...' in the menu

--
Clément Béra
Pharo consortium engineer