[Pharo-dev] Layout for placing widgets

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 08:11:28 EDT 2017

IMO the right move is to take advantage of this technique/library in Smalltalk :

"The Auckland Layout Model (ALM) is a novel technique for specifying
2D layout as it is used for arranging the controls in a GUI. The model
allows the specification of constraints based on linear algebra, and
an optimal layout is calculated using linear programming. Linear
equalities and inequalities can be specified on horizontal and
vertical tabstops, which are virtual lines that form a grid to which
all the elements of the GUI are aligned. The described technique
supports the dynamic adaptation of a layout to changes in the
environment, e.g. window size, and offers more flexibility than other
layout managers. "

http://aucklandlayout.sourceforge.net/

Contains various models of layouts:

Border Layout