[Pharo-dev] Zinc and Zodiac - Synching/Contributing

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Thu Oct 26 13:12:35 EDT 2017

Hi Sven,

for Zinc there is a new issue:

 1. Zinc is using #asBytesDescription. It should not be used as it is deprecated

     https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/401

there is also

 2. https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20557 which is not yet integrated.

I also proposed some simple but necessary cleanups for Zodiac in Pharo 7:

 3. Proper categorization in Zodiac-Tests package
        - to use "test" category instead of "testing" and better group the tests written

     https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/355/files

Also it looks like the #setUp in Zodiac tests never send a "super setUp". Which
should be fixed too.

I've noticed that both Zinc/Zodiac are not hosted on STHub. You seem to use your own custom
hosting server on

http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac
http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents

as well as github:

https://github.com/svenvc/zinc
https://github.com/svenvc/zodiac

If we just merge the changes from 3. into Pharo 7 they may later be overwritten when
synching also Zodiac again as in 2.

So how can we contribute from community side to both projects? Should I fork
https://github.com/svenvc/zodiac and send a PR to it so that you can integrate?

Thanks
Torsten