[Pharo-dev] , for vector creation

Nicolai Hess nicolaihess at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 01:00:57 EDT 2017

Am 25.10.2017 10:50 PM schrieb "Torsten Bergmann" <astares at gmx.de>:

Hi,

there might be reasons for an own 2D vector class (instead of using Point).
But still I dislike the reimplementation of  "," because for me so far it
has the meaning of "concatenating things".

Like concatenating coordinates :-)

Here you redefine it to create vector instances and it works only up to
three
so far. Right?

I understand that this gives some similarities with the math notation (1,2)
but I personally would prefer to use:

    1 at 2 asVector

or  Vector2D x: 1 y: 2

Thx
T.

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 25. Oktober 2017 um 20:06 Uhr
> Von: "Tudor Girba" <tudor at tudorgirba.com>
> An: "Pharo Development List" <pharo-dev at lists.pharo.org>
> Betreff: [Pharo-dev] , for vector creation
>
> Hi,
>
> As mentioned in the separate thread, we played with introducing the
extension:

> , aNumber
>       ^ BlVector2D x: self y: aNumber
>
> This means that (10,20) will return a 2D vector.
>
> We also have (10,20,30) which returns a 3D vector.
>
> , is used for different meanings already in the image beside the
collection concatenation. For example, in FileReference is adds a file
extension. And Exceptions create a collection. In other packages,
PetitParser uses it as a sequence operator.