[Pharo-dev] Probably stupid... question about string printString.

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 10:17:31 EDT 2017

Hi Torsten,

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 10:40:41AM +0200, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> Alistair Grant wrote:
> > I can't comment on the original thinking behind this
>
> The original thinking is simple and as the name says: you want to print the
> object (even when it is a string) to be print in a string.
>
> So it always is a "printObjectInString" instead of a "printObjectAsString"
> behavior. Also the resulting string often is a string to easily reconstruct the object.
>
> So it is not a conversion method. There is #asString for that.

Hmm, I knew about #asString, but this was a while ago, so I can't
remember why I didn't use it.  But thanks for the reminder.

> > If we're displaying values such as numbers and strings in a UI, e.g.
> > table, we normally don't want the strings always enclosed in quotes.
>
> There is #displayString for this task (which may return the printString or is overwritten)
> and this is common in nearly all Smalltalks I know.

Right, so what would be nice is for UI elements / GT toolkit to move to
using #displayString by default, and to add String>>displayString that
answers the receiver (currently in Pharo String uses the default
#printString, which returns the string with quotes).

>From memory this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it, and
don't remember the outcome.

Thanks,
Alistair