[Pharo-dev] Bloc Feedback

Nicolai Hess nicolaihess at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 02:59:58 EDT 2017

> Tudor Girba-2 wrote
> > Thanks for the feedback!
>
> But of course! Thanks for pushing Bloc :) IMHO a clean low-level graphics
> framework is the linchpin to unleash a tremendous amount of creativity in
> the Pharo community. I have several dream projects that I placed on
> long-term hold after getting stuck in Morphic quicksand :/
>

> Tudor Girba-2 wrote
> >> - How would one do e.g. a ticking clock in Bloc? The only possibly
> >> relevant
> >> example I see is BlAnimatedCursor. Is that a typical usage? One thing
> >> that
> >> I'm not sure how to translate to a BlElement is that the cursor seems to
> >> be
> >> responsible for starting and stopping the animation via #activateOn:,
> >> which
> >> doesn't exist for an element. How would one prevent an element's
> >> animation
> >> from continuing to run after a space was closed?
> > What do you mean?
>
> I guess I mean what is the Bloc version of #step that would enable us to do
> e.g. Squeak's mouse-eyes-tracking-the-cursor or Lively Kernel's clock:
> <http://forum.world.st/file/t128965/Chromium5.png>
>

> Tudor Girba-2 wrote
> >> - BlElement has 278 instance-side methods. A frequent battle cry against
> >> Morphic was the bloated Morph class with 899. Definitely an improvement,
> >> but
> >> are we "there yet”?
> > What do you mean?
>
> Is there a consensus on a maximum number of instance-side methods before a
> class becomes impossible to understand, and if so where does BlElement fall
> on that scale?

I dont think this number alone is a problem. As long as the
"responsibility" of this
class is well structured.
A problem with the Morph class is, that it acts as many things at once.
A structured container, a model, a view, a graphical object, a widget base

About BlElement, I am more afraid about the number of instance variables