[Pharo-dev] Working Directory Changes

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 06:47:58 EDT 2017

Hi Guille,

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 11:53:15AM +0200, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> ** The most important argument, that at least I did not see anybody complain
> about, is backwards compatibility. This implementation may break backwards
> compatibility, because this does not hold anymore:
>
> FileSystem imageDirectory == FileSystem workingDirectory
>
> Well, yes, it holds if you start your vm/image from the same directory where
> the image is located. Which is what most users do.

I gave poor Rajula quite a bit of trouble over this concern.  The end
result was that several people replied to say they don't care.

I later found out that this assumption was only introduced about half
way through Pharo 6 development.  Prior to that it was possible to
change the workingDirectory as it was stored in an instance variable
that could be changed.  So there will be very little code in existence
that makes this assumption.

Cheers,
Alistair