[Pharo-dev] Seaside on minimal Pharo 7.0

Pavel Krivanek pavel.krivanek at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 07:59:46 EDT 2017

Hi,

I was successfully able to run Seaside on the minimal Pharo 7.0. After the
release cleanup the resultant image has about 12.4 MiB.

The loading script expects that in the working directory you have the Pharo
repository clone (in a floder named 'pharo'). You should modify the loading
script to point to your real Pharo repository clone. This clone is needed
to load SUnit into the minimal image. You should have PharoV60.sources
reachable from the image.

The Seaside is loaded from my fork
(github://pavel-krivanek/Seaside:minimalPharo/repository). I had to create
a modified version because the original baseline broke the
ZincHTTPComponents.
The strange line:
Smalltalk vm parameterAt: 25 put: (Smalltalk vm parameterAt: 25) * 50.
...sets the garbage collector. Without this the Seaside loading can fail on
insufficient object memory.

wget -O - http://get.pharo.org/70-minimal | bash

pharo Pharo.image loadSeaside.st --save --quit
pharo Pharo.image startSeaside.st --no-quit

Starting of the image takes about 0.1 s on my machine.

Cheers,
-- Pavel