[Pharo-dev] Call for Ruby, Python, Java, Javascript Guide to Pharo

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sun Oct 8 17:41:16 EDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 10:19 PM, Peter Uhnák <i.uhnak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Comparing languages in a discussion about Pharo vs the rest is vastly
>> different, at least to me , from teaching Pharo.
>>

> The pdf that Stef posted I wrote for my students (which know Java and C),
> just so it is easier for them to compare/grasp the new syntax based on what
> they already know. It wasn't/isn't meant as a language comparison in the
> sense that one is better than the other.

btw, Have you seen "I Can Read C++ and Java But I Can’t Read Smalltalk"
by Wilf LaLonde
http://carfield.com.hk/document/languages/readingSmalltalk.pdf?

I like the side-comments...
  t.rotate (a, v); //Original
  t rotate (a, v); //Who needs dot?
  t rotate a, v; //Who needs brackets?
  t rotate by: a around: v; //Who needs ambiguity?
  t rotateBy: a around: v //This is Smalltalk

cheers -ben