[Pharo-dev] PharoMinimal ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Sun Oct 8 13:00:50 EDT 2017

Hi Pavel,

Thanks a lot for the explanation. To summarise: 70-minimal is the one with monticello and metacello in it that can load code via the config handler.

I was confused, because that failed for me.

Now, first doing

$ ./pharo pharo-minimal.image eval 'ZnMimeType initialize'

fixed my loading problem. I also did the following because some of my project don't separate tests (I known ;-)

$ ./pharo pharo-minimal.image eval --save 'Object subclass: #TestCase'

With those fixes I was able to load different projects

$ ./pharo pharo-minimal config http://mc.stfx.eu/Neo ConfigurationOfZTimestamp --install=stable

$ ./pharo pharo-minimal config http://mc.stfx.eu/Neo ConfigurationOfNeoConsole --install=bleedingEdge

The image remains equally fast in startup

$ time ./pharo pharo-minimal.image eval ZTimestamp now
2017-10-08T16:55:00Z
real	0m0.062s
user	0m0.025s
sys	0m0.029s

And it works perfectly as a server, like

$ ./pharo pharo-minimal eval --no-quit 'NeoConsoleTelnetServer new start' &

$ telnet localhost 4999
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Neo Console Pharo-7.0+alpha.build.172.sha.d13eed2f80fe19f29fd85ede8c4809d6a6986d4f (32 Bit)
> get
known metrics:
  system.status - Simple system status
  memory.total - Total allocated memory
  memory.free - Free memory
  memory.gc - Garbage collect, return free memory
  system.uptime - Image uptime human readeable
  system.uptimeseconds - Image uptime seconds
  system.date - Current date
  system.time - Current time
  system.timestamp - Current timestamp
  process.count - Current process count
  process.list - Current list of processes
  system.version - Image version info
  system.mcversions - Monticello packages version info
> get process.list
Delay Scheduling Process
Low Space Watcher
Idle Process
WeakArray Finalization Process
NeoConsoleTelnetServer port 4999
NeoConsoleTelnetServer port 4999 Connection Handler
> SessionManager default startupList collect: #handledId

#(#SmallInteger #Delay #ProcessorScheduler #OSPlatform #FileLocator #MCMethodDefinition #WeakArray #FileStream #MultiByteFileStream #EndianDetector #Symbol #LanguageEnvironment #Stdio #NonInteractiveTranscript #WeakFinalizationList #DiskStore #BasicCommandLineHandler #SourceFileArray #ASTCache #UUIDGenerator #InternetConfiguration #ZnLogEvent #ZnServer #Color #UIManagerSessionHandler #ZTimestamp)

Bye!
Connection closed by foreign host.

Image size remains ~11Mb.

Very nice !

About the class initialisations. Why were they not done already ? You seem to have a list of them, why not make sure they are executed when creating the image ? I guess I could rewrite some of my code to do lazy initialization class side but I should not have to do that, should I ?

Sven