[Pharo-dev] [ANN] Iceberg 0.6 released

Denis Kudriashov dionisiydk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 02:10:47 EDT 2017

Hi Esteban

> Hi all,
>
> I released Iceberg version 0.6. It includes a lot of small tweaks and
> fixes, but the most important inclusion is tonel file format which aims to
> replace file tree.
>
> What is Tonel? (https://github.com/pharo-vcs/tonel)
> Tonel is a file-per-class file format for monticello repositories. It’s
> purpose is to reduce the amount of files touched each operation, make the
> IO faster an compact the repositories database.
> It has also as an objective to offer an “easy-to-read” format, so people
> wanting to understand a chunk of code will recognise it easily.
> For testing, I migrated several of my projects to Tonel and I’ve been
> using it, you can see some as examples:
>
> https://github.com/estebanlm/MUDClient
> https://github.com/estebanlm/pharo-tonel (this was just an example and it
> has some minimal errors already fixed)

Did you accept format changes?
Because it still uses category for the class. Really, we are moving away
from it. Class has package and tags.
Method also needs support for multiple tags. While you are not agree on
using tags terminology Tonel still uses single category for this.
I think it is important for the new format to not use deprecated names and
add support for upcoming features. Instead we will be forced to maintain
old Tonel format at some point.
And what about slots and class extensions? Do you have example for them?