[Pharo-dev] Pulling Web XML data into spreadsheet

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sat Oct 7 00:03:29 EDT 2017

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com>
wrote:

> Ben Coman wrote
> > Unfortunately due to IT lock down I cannot use Pharo at work,
>
> Not even off a jump drive?

Nope.  You prompted me to try once again ==> This program is blocked by
group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator.

Even renaming pharo.exe to notepad.exe doesn't work.
It seems they are using signature based white-listing[1].
>From an Ops security perspective I applaud such policy.  First place I've
seen it used.  Its the only real protection.  Much better than a virus
scanner which only maybePossibly notices based on heuristics observing
behaviour after the malware is already running.
>From a practical/user perspective, uurgh,aarggh!

[1]
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-an-application-whitelist-policy-in-windows/

cheers -ben