[Pharo-dev] [ANN] Iceberg 0.6 released

Tim Mackinnon tim at testit.works
Fri Oct 6 17:34:49 EDT 2017

Gosh - It actually work quite well to be able to easily browse code online in a more traditional format of seeing an entire class. Hopefully this leads to us being able to share solutions to common language agnostic problems.

One small observation - I quickly grok’d the use of class { …. } (with the curly braces) - but given that smalltalk methods often have lots of  [ ] (square braces in them), I was a bit surprised to see that method declarations in tonal don’t use { … } (curly braces) to denote them, but instead use [ ] - which feels slightly strange given the class declaration above has. {}.

Was it easier to parse this way, or is there some subtlety I missed? I would have been tempted to use  {} for classes and methods and [] for the protocols as this more closely matches what other languages do - and it might actually make it more easily readable for other programmers. Given we have to learn this new format anyway - I’d be prepared to give a nod to what others do…

Possibly this observation comes to late - and maybe there is compelling reason to go the route we have gone - but maybe its worth a quick double check as its an exciting development.

Tim