[Pharo-dev] [Ann] Class meta annotations

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 03:48:30 EDT 2017

I'd even call them First class pragmas from that point of view :P

I wonder what are the side-effects of instantiating the annotation yourself
in a method.

specialAnnotationExample
    <classAnnotation>
    ^MySpecialAnnotation new

I mean, I understand we can use the class state to initialize the
annotation. But the fact that the annotation is cached after its first
instantiation means that the annotation will not necessarily evolve as the
class evolves. Do we want annotations to be stateless? Or depend only in
literals?

I wonder then what is the main difference with

specialAnnotationExample
    <classAnnotation: MySpecialAnnotation>

And what is the impact of having an annotation with parameters.

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189